How can I save files in Windows 8 without encountering permission issues?

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the user is experiencing trouble saving files on Windows 8 and is seeking help. The problem seems to be related to administrator permissions, but the user does not understand why they are receiving this message since they are the only user on the computer. It is recommended to save files in My Documents instead of C:\Program Files. The user should not be making changes in this directory unless installing new software. The message to contact the administrator is a result of the computer assuming the user knows what they are doing. It is advised to avoid running programs with admin rights. The user should save their files in their documents folder to avoid further issues.
mech-eng
Hi, I tried to save a file in windows 8 but there is problem. Could someone help me?

Attachments

• save problem.png
    save problem.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 517
Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you the administrator of the system?

adjacent said:
Are you the administrator of the system?[/QUOTE

Lies the problem there. I am the only user and computer is mine. I do not understand why I take that message.

Lies the problem there. I am the only user and computer is mine. I do not understand why I take that message.
I assume you have tried to save some files using Matlab. Did you open it as an administrator?

Yes, you are right. I just used win key then write MATLAB and pressed enter and by this way how can I use it as an admin? This way is very quick to start it.

mech-eng said:

The fact that you own the computer is irrelevant. You have to be logged in as the administrator. If you did not specifically set that up properly when you first got the computer, that's where your problem is.

You should try to save your files in My Documents, not in c:\Program Files.

W7 and W8 do strange things with directories.

phinds said:
The fact that you own the computer is irrelevant. You have to be logged in as the administrator. If you did not specifically set that up properly when you first got the computer, that's where your problem is.

How can I make windows assume me as the admin via control panel?

Through win key I write MATLAB and then by right clicking I try to run it as admin but that does not work. I can not run it as admin. Can you help me please.

The problem is not that you aren't running as admin. It is that you are trying to store files in the wrong place.

If that "example" file is part of a tutorial example that comes with MATLAB, you should make a copy of it (probably somewhere in My Documents, as Borek said) before you start changing it.

The only time you should be changing anything in C:Program Files is when you install new software on your PC.

AlephZero said:
The problem is not that you aren't running as admin. It is that you are trying to store files in the wrong place.

If that "example" file is part of a tutorial example that comes with MATLAB, you should make a copy of it (probably somewhere in My Documents, as Borek said) before you start changing it.

The only time you should be changing anything in C:Program Files is when you install new software on your PC.

But then why does it say "contact to admin to have permission" in the picture I added.

mech-eng said:
But then why does it say "contact to admin to have permission" in the picture I added.
Because computers are not intelligent. Computer operating systems like Windows assume that if you want to do something, you know why you want to do it. The OS might stop you doing something by accident (which is what happened here) but if you really want to turn your computer into an oversized paperweight, Microsoft doesn't care.

Just as an aside, since Windows Vista, MS made a change to how user accounts work. Even though an account has admin rights, unless explicitly specified (usually running a command/program as admin) everything runs as if you are a limited account.

Limited accounts (or User accounts) do not have permissions to write anywhere they like, they are restricted to only writing things to their own profile (my documents/my pictures/etc.) This is why MATLAB failed, it must have been running under a User context in which case the OS denied it access to the program files directory.
That's also probably why the message saying contact admin popped up, your account is running like a limited user. It's microsoft's way of saying, "you need admin rights to do this."

I would follow the advice of the other posters in this thread. Running programs with admin rights, is step 1 to turn your computer into "an oversized paperweight" as AlephZero put it. You want to avoid it if at all possible.

In this particular case, you need to be saving your .fig files under your documents folder as mentioned earlier. It's the safest and simplest solution to the problem.

1. What is the saving problem in Windows 8?

The saving problem in Windows 8 refers to an issue where users are unable to save their files or documents in certain programs or applications. This can be caused by various factors such as corrupt system files, conflicting software, or insufficient permissions.

2. How can I fix the saving problem in Windows 8?

To fix the saving problem in Windows 8, you can try restarting your computer, running a system file check, updating your operating system, or troubleshooting the specific program or application you are experiencing the issue with. You may also need to check the permissions of the folder or drive where you are trying to save the file.

3. Why am I getting an error message when trying to save in Windows 8?

An error message when trying to save in Windows 8 can indicate that there is a problem with the program or application you are using, or there may be an issue with your system settings or permissions. It's important to read the error message carefully and try any suggested solutions or troubleshooting steps.

4. Can third-party software cause the saving problem in Windows 8?

Yes, third-party software can sometimes cause conflicts with the saving function in Windows 8. This can happen if the software is outdated or if it interferes with system settings. It's a good idea to check for any updates to your third-party software and make sure it is compatible with your operating system.

5. Is there a way to prevent the saving problem in Windows 8 from happening?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent the saving problem in Windows 8, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of encountering it. These include regularly updating your operating system and software, avoiding incompatible or outdated third-party software, and backing up your important files regularly to avoid losing them in case of any issues.