Physics Q&A: Internal Resistance in Series with Variable Resistor

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics question involving a cell connected in series with a variable resistor and a high resistance voltmeter. The student is looking to find the emf and internal resistance of the cell using a hint involving treating the cell as a perfect voltage source.
Nabbsy88
Hi, I am in yr 11 and i study physics I am my free time but have stumnbled across the following question that i can't seem to find an answer for in any books, would someone please be able to help me?

A cell is connected in series with a variable resistor. A high resistance voltmeter is connected across the terminals of the cell. When the variable resistor is set at 13Ohms the voltmeter reads 1.30V. And when the Variable resistor reads 8Ohms the voltmeter reads 1.20V. Find:

A) The emf of the cell
B) The internal resistance of the cell.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint: Treat the cell as being a perfect voltage source in series with a resistance equal to its internal resistance. Note that when you change the resistance in the variable resistance the current flowing throught the cell changes; the current creates a voltage drop within the cell due to the internal resistance.

First of all, it's great that you are studying physics in your free time and have come across this question. It shows a strong interest and curiosity in the subject. Let's break down the question and see how we can find the answers.

A) The emf (electromotive force) of a cell is the amount of energy that the cell can provide to the circuit. In this case, we can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to find the emf. We know that the voltmeter reads 1.30V when the variable resistor is set at 13Ohms. So, using Ohm's Law, we can calculate the current (I) in the circuit, which is 1.30V/13Ohms = 0.1A. Now, when the variable resistor is set at 8Ohms, the voltmeter reads 1.20V. Using the same formula, we get a current of 1.20V/8Ohms = 0.15A. We know that the emf is constant, so we can set these two equations equal to each other: 0.1A = 0.15A. This gives us an emf of 1.5V.

B) The internal resistance of a cell is the resistance within the cell itself. To find this, we can use the formula E = IR + Ir, where E is the emf, I is the current, R is the external resistance (in this case, the variable resistor), and r is the internal resistance. We already know the emf (1.5V) and the current (0.1A and 0.15A), so we can plug those values in and solve for r. This gives us an internal resistance of 0.5Ohms.

I hope this helps you understand how to approach and solve this type of problem. Keep up the good work in your physics studies!

1. What is internal resistance in series with a variable resistor?

Internal resistance in series with a variable resistor refers to the resistance present within a power supply or voltage source, in addition to the resistance of the variable resistor itself. This internal resistance can affect the overall resistance and current flow in a circuit, particularly when a variable resistor is used to adjust the current.

2. How does the internal resistance affect the current in a series circuit with a variable resistor?

The internal resistance, along with the resistance of the variable resistor, creates a total resistance in the circuit. This total resistance affects the current flow according to Ohm's Law (I = V/R), where a higher resistance will result in a lower current. Therefore, a higher internal resistance will result in a lower current in the circuit.

3. Can the internal resistance be adjusted in a circuit?

In most cases, the internal resistance of a power supply or voltage source cannot be adjusted. It is a fixed value determined by the design and materials of the power source. However, using a variable resistor in series with the internal resistance can effectively change the total resistance in the circuit and therefore alter the current flow.

4. How can the internal resistance be calculated in a circuit?

The internal resistance can be calculated by measuring the voltage drop across the power supply or voltage source and the current flowing through the circuit. Using Ohm's Law (R = V/I), the internal resistance can be calculated by dividing the voltage drop by the current.

5. What are some factors that can affect the internal resistance in a circuit?

The internal resistance in a circuit can be affected by various factors, such as the type of power supply or voltage source, the materials used in the power source, and the temperature of the power source. In general, power sources with more sophisticated designs and high-quality materials will have lower internal resistance. Additionally, as the temperature of a power source increases, its internal resistance may also increase.