Finding height of image for a concave mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the magnification equation to find the height of an image. The question arises when the height of the object is not given. It is stated that without the height of the object, it is not possible to find the height of the image using the given information.
chester89
Ok, there's something I just don't understand. I know that to find the height of an image (hi), you need to use the magnification equation m = -di/do = hi/ho. And for this question, the focal length (f), distance of object (do), and distance of image (di) are given. Now, if I want to find the height of the image (hi), I would need the height of the object (ho) to finish the equation, but I don't, so now I'm stumpted on what to do with this question.

I know 'hi = -diho/do' is the equation but if I don't have ho, than how can I find hi.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edited, misinterpretation.

I don't believe you can find the height of the image without the height of the object. The focal length and a given object distance will determind the image distance. No other focused distance is possible. We cannot arbitrarily choose some image distance.

Last edited:

Hello, thank you for reaching out with your question. I understand your confusion with finding the height of an image for a concave mirror. Let me explain the process in more detail.

Firstly, the magnification equation m = -di/do = hi/ho is correct. However, in order to find the height of the image (hi), we do not necessarily need the height of the object (ho). This equation can also be rearranged to solve for hi, as shown below:

hi = -m * ho

This means that the height of the image (hi) is equal to the magnification (m) multiplied by the height of the object (ho). So, if the magnification is known, we can calculate the height of the image without knowing the height of the object.

In your case, if the focal length (f), distance of object (do), and distance of image (di) are given, you can use the formula 1/f = 1/do + 1/di to find the magnification. Once you have the magnification, you can use the above equation to find the height of the image.

I hope this helps clarify the process for finding the height of an image for a concave mirror. Let me know if you have any other questions. Keep up the good work in your studies as a scientist!

1. How do I find the height of an image for a concave mirror?

To find the height of an image for a concave mirror, you can use the mirror equation: 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, where f represents the focal length, o represents the object distance, and i represents the image distance. You can also use the magnification equation: M = -i/o, where M represents the magnification. By substituting known values into these equations, you can solve for the height of the image.

2. What is the focal length of a concave mirror?

The focal length of a concave mirror is the distance from the mirror's surface to its focal point. This distance is typically denoted by the letter f and is a characteristic property of the mirror. It can be determined by measuring the radius of curvature of the mirror or by using the mirror equation.

3. How does the position of the object affect the height of the image in a concave mirror?

The position of the object does affect the height of the image in a concave mirror. If the object is placed beyond the focal point, the image will be real and inverted. If the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror, the image will be virtual and upright. The closer the object is to the mirror, the larger the image will be.

4. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image in a concave mirror?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point to create an image. This type of image can be projected onto a screen and is always inverted. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when light appears to be coming from a certain point, but does not actually converge at that point. This type of image cannot be projected onto a screen and can be either upright or inverted.

5. How can I use a concave mirror to create a magnified image?

A concave mirror can be used to create a magnified image by placing the object beyond the focal point. The distance between the object and the focal point will determine the size of the image. The closer the object is to the focal point, the larger the magnification will be. This is known as a real image and can be projected onto a screen.