Understanding Evaporation and Cooling: Physics Problem Explained

In summary, when you jump into a breeze, you feel cooler because the breeze moves air away from your body, making it more humid and reducing the saturation of the air. Other factors that may affect the cooling process are increased heat input from the surroundings and the saturation of the air.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. If i jump out of a swimming pool, into a breeze, i feel cold.

Is this because the breeze is moving the more moist air away from my body, allowing more evaporation to occur, cooling the water, and since two substances of different temperatures naturally want to equalize in temperature, heat is transferred from my body to the water, thus making me feel cooler?

Is that theory correct? or am i completely on the wrong track? also, what other factors contribute to my cooling after jumping out of the pool?

Im just trying to fully understand these concepts in physics, since it is the subject i am struggling the most in at the moment.

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you headed this "evaporation", you should mention "heat of evaporation". Your body loses heat when water evaporates off it, making you feel cooler. Yes, it is true that the breeze contributes by moving the air, made more humid by the evaporated water, away from you body so that less humid air, which can accept more evaporated water takes its place.

HallsofIvy said:
Since you headed this "evaporation", you should mention "heat of evaporation". Your body loses heat when water evaporates off it, making you feel cooler. Yes, it is true that the breeze contributes by moving the air, made more humid by the evaporated water, away from you body so that less humid air, which can accept more evaporated water takes its place.

When you say heat of evaporation, you mean the thermal energy required to change the state of the water, from liquid to steam?

Well, from what I remember (though it is possibly oversimplified) is that evaporation causes cooling. This is because of the endothermic nature of evaporation, the intermolecular bonds require the intake of energy in order to break and for the separate molecules to move apart (hence taking on gaseous form).

One of the aspects that affects rate of evaporation is the saturation of the surrounding air. If there is an abundance of water molecules (basically the air is humid) then evaporation will slow down. Therefore, when there is a breeze, the saturation of the air is decreased as the newly evaporated particles are moved away from your body allowing for more to evaporate, hence increasing the rate of evaporation and the rate at which energy is taken in from the surroundings to fuel the process... I think this is correct but don't take my word for it!

EDIT: I think I basically just repeated what the other post said... just in different terms, DOH!

Last edited:
ok, but what other factors affect the cooling in this situation, or is evaporation due to a breeze the only major one id need to consider?

Well, off the top of my head, the other factors that affect rate of evaporation are:

1. An increased surface area : volume ratio, which I believe is rather unlikely to spontaneously occur on your body!

2. Increased heat input from the surroundings... This won't really cool you per se because the overall heat has to increase anyway.

Therefore, as far as evaporation goes, the breeze is the prime factor affecting it. When concerned with other possible reasons for cooling occurring I can't really think if any.

ok thanks for the help.

What is evaporation?

Evaporation is the process by which a liquid changes to a gas or vapor state. This occurs when the molecules in the liquid gain enough energy to break free and escape into the surrounding air.

How does temperature affect evaporation?

Temperature is one of the main factors that affect evaporation. As the temperature increases, the molecules in the liquid gain more energy and move faster, increasing the rate of evaporation.

What other factors can affect evaporation?

Besides temperature, other factors that can affect evaporation include humidity, air pressure, and surface area. Higher humidity levels can slow down evaporation, while lower air pressure can speed up evaporation. A larger surface area also allows for more liquid molecules to escape into the air, increasing the rate of evaporation.

What is the difference between evaporation and boiling?

Evaporation is a slower process compared to boiling. While evaporation occurs at the surface of a liquid, boiling occurs throughout the entire liquid. Boiling also requires the liquid to reach a specific temperature, while evaporation can occur at any temperature.

How can evaporation be useful?

Evaporation has many practical applications, such as in the cooling process, where the evaporation of sweat from our skin helps to regulate our body temperature. It is also an important part of the water cycle, helping to transfer water from the Earth's surface back into the atmosphere.