Structure constants of Lie algebra

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the standard basis for so(3) and its structure constants, as well as the basis for left-invariant vector fields and the confusion that arises when different bases are chosen. The expert clarifies that the structure constants are not unique and can vary depending on the basis chosen, and suggests choosing a basis that is compatible with the standard basis to get the same results as the textbooks.
marton
The following matrices are written in Matlab codes form.

The standard basis for so(3) is: L1 = [0 0 0; 0 0 -1; 0 1 0], L2 = [0 0 1; 0 0 0; -1 0 0], L3 = [0 -1 0; 1 0 0; 0 0 0]. Since [L1, L2] = L3, the structure constants of this Lie algebra are C(12, 1) = C(12, 2) = 0, C(12, 3) = 1. According to do Carmo and other textbooks, if M1, M2 and M3 is the basis for the left-invariant vector fields of A, where A is a member of SO(3), we have [Mi, Mj] = C(ij, k)Mk, where Mi = A * Li. In the above case, we have [M1, M2] = M3.

But, when I put A = [cos(t) -sin(t) 0; sin(t) cos(t) 0; 0 0 1], then M1 = [0 0 sin(t); 0 0 -cos(t); 0 -1 0], M2 = [0 0 cos(t); 0 0 sin(t); -1 0 0], and M3 = [-sin(t) -cos(t) 0; cos(t) -sin(t) 0; 0 0 0]. By straightforward calculation, it can be seen that [M1, M2] is not equal to M3.
I believe the textbooks could not be wrong , but my calculation is also correct. I am in confusion. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your confusion and I am happy to help clarify the issue. First, it is important to note that the structure constants of a Lie algebra are not unique and can vary depending on the basis chosen. In this case, the structure constants you have calculated are correct for the basis {L1, L2, L3}. However, the basis you have chosen for the left-invariant vector fields {M1, M2, M3} is not the same as the standard basis {L1, L2, L3}. This is why you are getting a different result for [M1, M2].

To see this more clearly, let's look at the definition of the left-invariant vector fields: Mi = A * Li, where A is a member of SO(3). In your case, you have chosen A = [cos(t) -sin(t) 0; sin(t) cos(t) 0; 0 0 1], which is a rotation matrix. However, the standard basis {L1, L2, L3} is not a rotation matrix. It is a basis for the Lie algebra of skew-symmetric matrices (so(3)), which is a different mathematical object than SO(3). This is why you are getting a different result for [M1, M2].

In order to get the same result as the textbooks, you would need to choose a different basis for the left-invariant vector fields that is compatible with the standard basis for so(3). For example, you could choose a basis of left-invariant vector fields that are also skew-symmetric matrices, such as {A * L1, A * L2, A * L3}. In this case, you would get the same structure constants as the textbooks: [A * L1, A * L2] = A * [L1, L2] = A * L3.

I hope this helps clarify the issue. Remember, the choice of basis can greatly affect the structure constants, so it is important to be consistent when comparing results. Keep up the good work in your studies!

What are structure constants of Lie algebra?

Structure constants of Lie algebra are numerical coefficients that describe the commutation relations among the basis elements of a Lie algebra. They play a crucial role in understanding the algebraic structure of Lie algebras and their representation theory.

How are structure constants of Lie algebra calculated?

Structure constants of Lie algebra can be calculated using the structure equations, which are a set of differential equations that describe the commutation relations among the basis elements. These equations can be solved to obtain the structure constants for a given Lie algebra.

What is the significance of structure constants of Lie algebra?

The structure constants of Lie algebra provide important information about the algebraic structure of Lie algebras and their representations. They can be used to classify Lie algebras, determine their dimension, and study their properties.

Can structure constants of Lie algebra change?

Yes, the structure constants of a Lie algebra can change under certain transformations. For example, they can change under a change of basis or a change of coordinates. However, the underlying algebraic structure of the Lie algebra remains the same.

What are some applications of structure constants of Lie algebra?

The structure constants of Lie algebra have applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used in the study of symmetries and conservation laws in physical systems, as well as in the development of mathematical models and algorithms for solving complex problems.