How can I derive (G&H)->J using SD rules?

In summary, NickJ was able to derive a tableau that showed no row where all premises were true and the conclusion false.
Weezer1223
Ok, so I'm doing some logic review on my own. It's been awhile since I've done derivations, so I'm a little rusty. I'm just trying to use SD rules and not SD+. I'd appreciate any help you all can offer. Thanks in advance.

Derive: (G&H)->J

1. E->(F->G) assum.
2. H->(G->I) assump
3. (F->I)->(H->J) assump
7. | |G->I 6,2 ->E
8. | |F->G 4,1 ->E
9. | | |F asummp
10. | | |G 8,9 ->E
11. | | |I 7,10 ->E
12 | | F->I 9-11 ->I
13. | | H->J 3, 12 ->E
14. | | J 6, 13 ->E
15. | (G&H)->J 5-14 ->I

This is where I get stuck. I do get #15 out of the subderivation of E? Or am I going about this all wrong? Can you even derive this thing?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Haha, that is a good question to ask. By my check, the tableaux closes without even needing (1). Your proof looks fine, but all you can get out of (4) is ~E or a formula of the form E -> p, e.g., E -> ((G & H) -> J). The key seems to lay with I. You can get I from (2) by assuming (G & H). Can you see how to get a formula from (3) that, effectively, makes you choose between ~I or J?

On second thought, let me put it this way: The only way that F -> I can be false is for I to be ... ??

Last edited:
Rule of thumb: whenever you're trying to prove a conditional claim, the first assumption you make should always be the antecedent of the conditional. You didn't follow this rule; that's why you're having trouble discharging your assumptions at the end.

And the argument is valid: I did a truth-table that shows no row where all premises true and conclusion false.

Derive: (G&H)->J

1. E->(F->G) assum.
2. H->(G->I) assump
3. (F->I)->(H->J) assump
7. | G -> I 2, 5, ->E
8. || F assumption
9. || I 6, 7, ->E
10.| F -> I 8-9, ->I
11.| H -> J 3, 10 ->E
12.| J 11, 5 ->E
13.(G&H) -> J 4-12, ->I QED

Note that the first premise is irrelevant -- I never use it.

Hello again, NickJ. :smile: FYI: We aren't allowed to give full solutions here unless the person is having serious problems.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. You're hint hones helped out greatly. Thanks for taking the time NickJ to write out a sollution, even though you weren't supposed to. :biggrin:

This is a great site, and I'm looking forward to reading and posting here.

honestrosewater said:
FYI: We aren't allowed to give full solutions here unless the person is having serious problems.

Oops! Now I know...and knowing is half the battle.

1. What is an SD derivation?

An SD derivation is a process used in logic and mathematics to prove a statement or theorem using a set of axioms and rules of inference. It involves systematically applying these rules to arrive at a conclusion.

2. How do I construct an SD derivation?

To construct an SD derivation, you must first identify the statement you want to prove and the axioms and rules of inference that are relevant to the problem. Then, you must apply these rules in a logical and systematic manner, writing out each step and justifying it with the appropriate rule.

3. What are the common rules of inference used in an SD derivation?

Some common rules of inference used in an SD derivation include modus ponens, modus tollens, disjunctive syllogism, and hypothetical syllogism. These rules allow you to make logical deductions based on the given statements and axioms.

4. Can I use any axioms or rules of inference in an SD derivation?

No, you cannot use any axioms or rules of inference in an SD derivation. The axioms and rules used must be relevant to the statement being proven and must be accepted as true without proof.

5. What is the purpose of an SD derivation?

The purpose of an SD derivation is to prove a statement or theorem using a logical and systematic approach. It allows us to understand the validity of a statement and provides a clear and concise explanation for why it is true.