Are These Collections of Subsets Partitions of the Set of Integers?

In summary, the author has trouble with partitions and needs help. They found that yes, partitions exist for every question and provided a summary of what that means.
brad sue
Hi I need help with this problem I have some trouble with partitions:

Homework Statement

The context is Discrete math /relation

Which of these collections of subsets are partitions of the set of integers?

1- The set of even integer and the set of odd integers.

2- the set of positive integer and the set of negative integers.

3- the set of integers divisible by 3, the set of integers leaving a remainder of 1 when divided by 3, and the set of integers divisible by 3, the set of integers leaving a remainder of 2 when divided by 3.

4- The set of integers less than -100, the set of integers with absolute value not exceeding 100, and the set of integers greater than 100.

5- the set of integers not divisible by 3, the set of even integers and the set of integer that leave a remainder of 3 when divided by 6.

Homework Equations

Are my answers correct?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found yes for all cases . but I am suspicious.

Thank you for your help
B

Physics news on Phys.org
brad sue said:
Hi I need help with this problem I have some trouble with partitions:

Homework Statement

The context is Discrete math /relation

Which of these collections of subsets are partitions of the set of integers?
The definition of "partition" of a set is a collection of subsets such that every member of the orginal set (here the set of all integers) is in one and only one of the subsets.

1- The set of even integer and the set of odd integers.
Is there any integer that is in neither of these sets- is there any integer that is neither even nor odd? Is there any integer that is in both- is there any integer that is both even and odd? If your answer is "yes" to either, then this is not a partition. If it is "no" to both, then it is a partition.

2- the set of positive integer and the set of negative integers.
Again, is there any integer that is neither positive nor negative? Is there any integer that is both positive and negative?

3- the set of integers divisible by 3, the set of integers leaving a remainder of 1 when divided by 3, and the set of integers divisible by 3, the set of integers leaving a remainder of 2 when divided by 3.
Is there any integer for which two of these is true- can an integer have two different remainders when divided by 3? Is there any integer for which none of these is true? What are the possible remainders when you divide a number by 3?

4- The set of integers less than -100, the set of integers with absolute value not exceeding 100, and the set of integers greater than 100.
Do you see what questions you should ask yourself for this? Is there any integer for which two of these is true? Is there any integer for which none of these is true?

5- the set of integers not divisible by 3, the set of even integers and the set of integer that leave a remainder of 3 when divided by 6.

Homework Equations

Are my answers correct? ?What were your answers?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found yes for all cases . but I am suspicious.

Thank you for your help
B
Oh, I see. Your answered "yes" for every question. No, that is not true. Go back and answer the questions I asked for each one.

Thank you HallsofIvy
I understand what I need to ask myself .
I have an exam in 15 min. I going to go now and work on it.
Thank you..

1. What are partitions and why are they important?

Partitions are a way of dividing a hard drive into separate sections, each of which can be used to store data. They are important because they allow for better organization and management of files, and can also improve system performance.

2. How do I create a new partition?

The process for creating a new partition varies depending on your operating system, but typically involves using a disk management tool or command line utility. It is important to back up your data before creating a new partition to avoid data loss.

3. Can I resize or delete existing partitions?

Yes, you can resize or delete existing partitions, but it is important to be cautious as this can lead to data loss. It is recommended to back up important data before making any changes to existing partitions.

4. What is the difference between primary and extended partitions?

Primary partitions are the main partitions on a hard drive and are typically used for booting an operating system. Extended partitions are used to create additional logical partitions within a primary partition, allowing for more storage space.

5. How do I recover data from a deleted or corrupted partition?

There are various data recovery tools available that can help you recover data from a deleted or corrupted partition. It is important to stop using the affected drive and seek professional help if you are not familiar with data recovery processes.