Converting Complex Numbers to Polar Form: A Mathematical Explanation

In summary, the person is having a problem with their calculator and is looking for help. They explain how to convert between polar and rectangular form and how to express a complex number in polar form. They state that if there are any other questions about complex numbers, they would be happy to answer them.
Paddy
Firstly I do apologise, because this question is got more to do with the mathematical side of Electronic Engineering, because my mathematical classification is not that good I don't know where I would put this question on the mathematics section, if any of the moderators or whoever can, wants to move it there, I do apologise.

I am having a bit of problem with my calculator, unlike many other people in my class, my calculator can't exchange complex numbers to polar form, so I have to do it by using some mathematics.

I know how to change from polar form back to complex notation, so for example imagine a voltage of 6.08 |51.8*.

I believe that 6.08cos51.8 will get you the real component and 6.08sin51.8 is J, so in J-notation ==> 6.08 |51.8* = 3.76 + J4.78

I haven't made up these difficult numbers, but I have taken them from a class example, I suppose the method is correct because that was the answer checked by the teacher.

However I do not know how to exchange a number back to polar form, I think my best option would be buying a better calculator, but I would appreciate if someone could show me by mathematical terms, Thank You.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let's consider a general case first, and consider the complex number x+yj, where x and y are real numbers. Now, we want to express this in polar form, which is R(cost+jsint). Here, R is the modulus of the complex number (I'm not sure whether you're familiar with this) but it is simply defined as √(x2+y2).

So, to move onto your example, we want to write 3.76+4.78j in the form R(cost+jsint). First calculate the modulus of the complex number; R=√(3.762+4.782)=6.08. Now, we factor this out of the complex number, to give 6.08(0.6181+0.7026j). This is nearly in polar form. The final step is to take cos-1(0.6181) and sin-1(0.7026). You will find that these are both 51.8, and so we have the number expressed as 6.08(cos(51.8)+jsin(51.8)), which has real part 6.08cos(51.8) and imaginary part 6.08sin(51.8), as you state in your post.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
No worries, I googled polar to rectangular conversion complex numbers, and got lots of good hits. Here's the first one:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_2/5.html

Basically just think of the trigonometry involved, with an x-y graph where the +x axis is the Real axis, and the +y axis is the Imaginary axis. We use the prefex j (or i in non-EE areas) to denote the Imaginary component in the rectangular form of complex numbers, or as a prefex to the angle (in radians) in complex exponential form (which is another notation for the polar form).

If you have any other questions about this topic after reading the tutorial, please feel free to repost in this thread.

Dang, cristo beats me to the punch again!

Thank you So, So much.

I was along the right lines, but the relationship between the imaginary and real numbers confused me a bit.

Starting to make sense and I am starting to get the idea. Thank you.

1. What is J-Notation in complex numbers?

J-Notation is a way of representing complex numbers using the imaginary unit "j" instead of "i". It follows the form of a + bj, where a is the real part and bj is the imaginary part.

2. How is J-Notation different from standard complex number notation?

In standard complex number notation, the imaginary unit is represented by "i" and the imaginary part is written as ai, where a is a real number. In J-Notation, the imaginary unit is represented by "j" and the imaginary part is written as bj, where b is also a real number.

3. What are the advantages of using J-Notation in complex numbers?

J-Notation can be more intuitive and easier to read, especially for those who are familiar with electrical engineering or physics where "j" is commonly used to represent the imaginary unit. It also avoids confusion with "i" being used to represent other variables in mathematical equations.

4. How do you perform arithmetic operations with J-Notation?

To add or subtract complex numbers in J-Notation, simply combine the real and imaginary parts separately. For multiplication and division, use the distributive property and simplify using the fact that j^2 = -1.

5. Can complex numbers in J-Notation be plotted on a complex plane?

Yes, just like standard complex numbers, complex numbers in J-Notation can also be plotted on a complex plane. The real part corresponds to the horizontal axis and the imaginary part corresponds to the vertical axis.