Condition of a vector field F being conservative is curl F = 0,

In summary, a vector field F is conservative if curl F=0. This means that F=F(r) for any given vector r in V. If V is simply connected, then there exists a scalar function f(r) over M such that v(r) = grad_f. This theorem holds for each individual member of the family indicated by lambda.
Kolahal Bhattacharya
When we say condition of a vector field F being conservative is curl F=0,does it mean that F=F(r)?.I know normally it does not look so.Please,then site an example where F is not a function of r,but still curl F=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
By "curl of F=0" we mean

[tex] \nabla_{\vec{r}} \times \vec{F}=0 [/tex]

for an [itex] \vec{F}=\vec{F}\left(\vec{r}\right) [/itex]

If [itex] \vec{F}\neq \vec{F}\left(\vec{r}\right) [/itex] then

[tex] \nabla_{\vec{r}} \times \vec{F}\equiv 0 [/tex]

Kolahal Bhattacharya said:
When we say condition of a vector field F being conservative is curl F=0,does it mean that F=F(r)?.I know normally it does not look so.Please,then site an example where F is not a function of r,but still curl F=0.

One example: A constant vector field [itex]\vec F(x\hat x + y\hat y + z\hat z) = a\hat x + b\hat y + c\hat z[/itex] has no curl.

The curl of a gradient is necessarily zero:
[tex]\vec F(\vec x) = \nabla \phi(\vec x)[/tex]

So all you need to do is come up with a scalar function [itex]\phi(\vec x)[/itex] that cannot be expressed as a function of [itex]||\vec x||[/itex].

The constant vector field corresponds to [itex]\phi(\vec x) = ax + by + cz[/itex], where [itex]\vec x = x\hat x + y\hat y + z\hat z[/itex]. Then [itex]\nabla \phi(\vec x) = a\hat x + b\hat y + c\hat z[/itex].

Last edited:
I thank you both.And I was not interested about constant fields.
However,What about F=F(v) where v=dr/dt
And also if curl F=0 where F=F(t),or,F=F(v) does it mean the field is conservative?

A picked a constant vector field as a simple counterexample. Any vector field that can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar function has zero curl.

For the latter, [itex]\vec F = \vec F(\vec v), \vec v = d\vec r/dt[/itex], the curl is zero since the partials of [itex]\vec F[/itex] with respect to components of [itex]\vec r[/itex] are zero. Drag in a constant density fluid satisfies these conditions, and is definitely not conservative.

D H said:
A picked a constant vector field as a simple counterexample. Any vector field that can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar function has zero curl.

For the latter, [itex]\vec F = \vec F(\vec v), \vec v = d\vec r/dt[/itex], the curl is zero since the partials of [itex]\vec F[/itex] with respect to components of [itex]\vec r[/itex] are zero. Drag in a constant density fluid satisfies these conditions, and is definitely not conservative.

Unless you're talking about a viscous fluid and [itex]\mathbf{v} = \mathbf{v}(\mathbf{r}, t)[/itex] is the velocity field. But then things are still more complicated.

Generally velocity/time dependent forcing fields are not conservative. I really dislike it when classes take the perspective that if the curl is zero, then it has to be conservative.

DH:If F=F(v) has curl F=0,then what do you mean by this?
Drag in a constant density fluid satisfies these conditions, and is definitely not conservative.
StatMechGuy:I really did not understand:
I really dislike it when classes take the perspective that if the curl is zero, then it has to be conservative

StatMechGuy said:
Generally velocity/time dependent forcing fields are not conservative. I really dislike it when classes take the perspective that if the curl is zero, then it has to be conservative.

I agree. A zero curl simply means the field is irrotational, period.

Kolahal Bhattacharya said:

A vector field assigns a vector to each point of the "base space": it is a mapping v(p) from the base space M into a vector space V. In the settings where curl and so on make sense, it can be shown that, if curl_p v = 0 over M, AND IF M IS SIMPLY CONNECTED (no "holes"), that there exists a scalar function f(p) over M, such that v(p) = grad f.

Now, nothing stops you from adding extra parameters to this problem. That is, if you consider a "vector field" which is in fact a *family* of vector fields:
v(p,lambda), with p in M, but lambda any other (set of) parameters, such as time or whatever, well the same theorem holds, for each individual member (indicated by lambda) of the family: if curl_p v(p,lambda) = 0 then v(p,lambda) = grad_p f(p,lambda).

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes a vector quantity (such as force or velocity) that varies in space and time. It assigns a vector to every point in a given region of space.

2. What does it mean for a vector field to be conservative?

A vector field is said to be conservative if the line integral of the field along any closed path is equal to zero. This means that the work done by the field on a particle moving along a closed path is independent of the path taken.

3. What is curl and how is it related to conservative vector fields?

Curl is a mathematical operation that describes the rotation or "twisting" of a vector field at a given point. If the curl of a vector field is equal to zero at all points, then the field is conservative.

4. Why is curl F = 0 a condition for a vector field to be conservative?

The condition of curl F = 0 means that there is no rotation or "twisting" of the vector field at any point. This is a necessary condition for a vector field to be conservative because if there is any rotation, the line integral along a closed path will not be equal to zero, violating the definition of a conservative field.

5. How is the condition of a vector field being conservative used in real-world applications?

The concept of a conservative vector field is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to model and understand the behavior of physical systems. It allows for the calculation of work and energy in these systems, and can help predict the behavior of particles and objects in motion.