Finding the centroid of the triangular region

• Thread starter Chumatha87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of the centroid of a triangular region and the use of double integrals to solve the problem. The suggested method of using equations for the lines on the left and right of the triangle and integrating with respect to x and y is deemed correct. The conversation also mentions the relationship between the centroid and medians of a triangle, and the need to divide by the area in the equation to get the correct coordinates for the centroid.
Chumatha87

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of the centroid G of the triangular region with vertices (0,0),(a,0),(b,c).

Homework Equations

for the centroid x = (1 / area) * double integral ( x dA)
y = (1 / area) * double integral ( y dA)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, what i did so far for this was try to get an equation for the lines on the left and right of the triangle. i got x = by/c and x = -y(a-b)/c + a (both were found using point slope)

Then I integrated with respects to x first and used the above equations as my limits of integration, and then integrated with respects to y and used 0 and c as limits of integration.

I want to know if that sounds like the right method of going into this problem. I get a really long mess of a's and b's for x and c canceled out. It feels like I'm missing something.

The whole point of the assignment was to try to prove that the three medians of a triangle intersect the centroid, but if I'm already going in the right direction, I'm sure I can figure the rest out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without actually seeing the math you did, it looks like your idea of what to do is right.

centroid is given by coordinates [tex] x= \frac{x_1+x_2+x_3}{3} , \ y= \frac{y_1+y_2+y_3}{3} [/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]G ( {x=x_1+x_2+x_3/3} , {y=y_1+y_2+y_3}/3 )[/tex]

Can be proved by using midpoint theorem and the fact that medians bisect each other in ratio 2:1

Of course, that's assuming what the OP was asked to show: that the medians intersect at the centroid.

Chumatha87, your basic idea is correct. Integrating with respect to x, you will want to divide the integral in two parts: 0 to b and b to a.

Don't forget to divide by the area which is (1/2)ac.

coordinates are G(a+b/3,c/3)

for points (0,0),(a,0),(b,c).

.ultimate said:
coordinates are G(a+b/3,c/3)

for points (0,0),(a,0),(b,c).

All you are telling us is that you do not understand what the original question was.

alright i got the answer as ( (a+b)/3, c/3 ) for the centroid using double integrals, it seems that I divided by the area in one part of the equation, but neglected to do it in another part, so things didn't cancel out the first time. Thanks for the help guys.

1. What is the definition of the centroid of a triangular region?

The centroid of a triangular region is the point where the three medians of the triangle intersect. It is often referred to as the "center of gravity" or "center of mass" of the triangle.

2. How is the centroid of a triangular region calculated?

The centroid can be calculated by finding the average of the x-coordinates and the average of the y-coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle. This point will be the coordinates of the centroid.

3. Why is finding the centroid of a triangular region important?

The centroid is an important concept in geometry and physics. It helps to find the balance point of a triangle and is useful in determining the stability of structures. It is also used in finding the center of a mass of an object and in solving various mathematical problems.

4. Can the centroid of a triangular region lie outside the triangle?

No, the centroid of a triangular region will always lie within the triangle. This is because the medians of a triangle intersect at a point that is located within the triangle.

5. What is the relationship between the centroid and the area of a triangular region?

The centroid divides each median into two segments with a 2:1 ratio. The distance from the centroid to the midpoint of the base of the triangle is one-third of the length of the median. This relationship holds true for all triangles, regardless of their size or shape.