Questions about General Relativity (GR) - Andrew

• Thread starter Areid45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, Andrew is seeking help in understanding the concept of general relativity for an upcoming presentation. He is wondering how time can be warped if it is part of the combination of space and time known as "space-time." He has checked out books on the topic but is still confused and is looking for resources to help clarify the idea. A recommended book for him is Geroch's "General Relativity from A to B."
Areid45
Hello all,
I, by no means, fully understand general relativity. I was wondering if one of you experts could help me clarify some things, as I am giving a presentation to my class on GR next monday. We are in a somewhat basic physics class, so I really just need to get the idea across. From my understanding, the basic idea of GR is that matter/energy warp what is called "space-time." My question is... if space time is a combination of space and time, then how is time warped? I understand how space is warped and this explains why our planets are in orbit, but how is time warped?

Thank you in advance for the response.

-Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
How to prepare an introductory talk on GR?

Hi, Andrew,

Did you see the very recent thread offering advice to an AP physics student who was also preparing at the last minute :grumpy: for a talk?

What we suggested to him would also be good advice for you, I think. First, try to find what resources you can obtain ASAP (see the website in my sig), then decide what you will try to convey. Then study your sources and write your talk.

Last edited:
I just read that, I am surprised I missed it when I glanced through the topics. I've checked out a few books on Einstein and General Relativity. I am still a bit confused on how time can be warped.

How spacetime can be warped. Geroch, General Relativity from A to B should be perfect for you.

Thank you so much.

1. What is General Relativity (GR)?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how the force of gravity arises from the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How does General Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force between masses, while General Relativity explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This means that General Relativity can account for the effects of gravity on large scales, such as the motion of planets and galaxies, while Newton's theory is more accurate for smaller scales.

3. Can General Relativity be tested or proven?

Yes, General Relativity has been tested and confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. For example, the bending of starlight by the Sun's gravity during a solar eclipse and the gravitational redshift of light from distant galaxies are both predicted by General Relativity and have been observed.

4. What are some implications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has many implications, including the prediction of black holes and gravitational waves. It also explains the phenomenon of time dilation, where time moves slower in strong gravitational fields, and the concept of spacetime, where space and time are not separate entities but are interconnected.

5. Is General Relativity the final theory of gravity?

No, General Relativity is not considered the final theory of gravity. It has been incredibly successful in describing gravity on a large scale, but it is incompatible with quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles on a small scale. Scientists are currently working on a theory of quantum gravity that can unite these two theories.