What is the Derivative of Arctan?

In summary, the conversation discusses the substitution method for solving the integral of (e^x)/(1+e^(2x)). The group goes through various attempts, including substituting u=1+e^(2x), but eventually settles on u=e^x as the best substitution. They also discuss the derivative of e^(2x) and the integral of arctan.
Saladsamurai
I know this must be similar...

[tex]\int \frac{e^x}{1+e^{2x}}[/tex]

should [tex]u=1+e^{2x}[/tex]?

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
actually this one's a bit trickier.

if you try 1+e^(2x) you won't really go anywhere since the derivative of e^(2x) is 2e^(2x) >< which doesn't appear on the top of the fraction.

So is there any other substitution you can try? one that when derived will give you the quantity that is on top of the fraciton? o.o

I see something, bit I can't figure out how to word it...I know [tex]e^{2x}=e^{(x)2}[/tex]...or something...

yes o.o so what other substitution can you try? 1+e^(2x) doesn't work so..

ps.
(this time you won't be able to do the entire quantity on the bottom of the fraction).

bob1182006 said:
actually this one's a bit trickier.

if you try 1+e^(2x) you won't really go anywhere since the derivative of e^(2x) is 2e^(2x) >< which doesn't appear on the top of the fraction.

So is there any other substitution you can try? one that when derived will give you the quantity that is on top of the fraciton? o.o

[tex]e^x[/tex] is the only thing that keeps popping into my head...but..

but? o.o why don't you try it?

when doing integrals it's not weird to try one method for like 1/2 a page then say "this is going nowhere" and going some other way >< from the start...

is this calc 2? b/c all it is the integral of arctan after you u subst. for e^x.

I am...and I am getting...hey wait is this a true statement? [tex](e^x)^2=e^{2x}[/tex]

Casey

yes.

[tex]u=e^{x}[/tex]

[tex]du=e^xdx[/tex]

what is the integral of arctan?

Ah! It's late...I had myself convinced that [tex]e^{2x}[/tex] and [tex](e^x)^2[/tex] were not equal...silly algebra.

Thanks again and goodnight,
Casey

rocophysics said:
yes.

[tex]u=e^{x}[/tex]

[tex]du=e^xdx[/tex]

what is the integral of arctan?
I think you mean "what is the derivative of arctan!:rolleyes:

HallsofIvy said:
I think you mean "what is the derivative of arctan!:rolleyes:
argh! yes actually that would be correct, lol.

1. What is "Another U substitution" in calculus?

Another U substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving complex or nested functions. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a new variable, typically denoted by u, in order to make the integral easier to solve.

2. When should I use "Another U substitution"?

"Another U substitution" is useful when you encounter integrals with nested functions or functions that are difficult to integrate. It can also be used when the integral can be rewritten in a more manageable form using a substitution.

3. How do I perform "Another U substitution"?

To perform "Another U substitution", follow these steps:

1. Identify a nested function or a difficult-to-integrate function in the integral.
  2. Choose a new variable, u, to replace the nested or difficult function.
  3. Find the derivative of u, du, with respect to the original variable.
  4. Substitute the original function and du into the integral, replacing the nested or difficult function with u and the differential with du.
  5. Solve the new integral in terms of u.
  6. Finally, substitute back in the original variable to get the final answer.

4. Are there any limitations to using "Another U substitution"?

Yes, there are some limitations to using "Another U substitution". For example, it may not work for all integrals and can sometimes lead to more complicated integrals. It is important to consider other integration techniques and to practice with different types of integrals to determine when "Another U substitution" is the best approach.

5. Can "Another U substitution" be used for definite integrals?

Yes, "Another U substitution" can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. However, when using it for definite integrals, it is important to adjust the limits of integration accordingly after substituting back in the original variable.