What is the Mass of a Block of Ice Given a Constant Force and Displacement?

• Thread starter MissKaylaPaige
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the mass of a block of ice given a constant force of 75 N applied horizontally and the block's movement of 12 m in 3 seconds. The equations F=m*a and m=F/a were mentioned, as well as the use of kinematic equations to find acceleration. The solution involved using the equation for displacement to find the final velocity, and then using the equation for acceleration to find the mass.
MissKaylaPaige

Homework Statement

A Constant force of 75 N is applied horizontally to a block of ice on a horizontal plane. Friction is negligible. The block moves 12 m in the first 3 seconds. Find Mass in kg of block.

Homework Equations

F=m*a

m=F/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Having trouble finding acceleration. I took 12m/3s to find the velocity, then velocity over time to give acceleration. I came up with 1.3 but this appeared to be incorrect. Help with the proper finding of acceleration would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
is the answer 28.12 Kg?

MissKaylaPaige said:

Homework Statement

A Constant force of 75 N is applied horizontally to a block of ice on a horizontal plane. Friction is negligible. The block moves 12 m in the first 3 seconds. Find Mass in kg of block.

Homework Equations

F=m*a

m=F/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Having trouble finding acceleration. I took 12m/3s to find the velocity, then velocity over time to give acceleration. I came up with 1.3 but this appeared to be incorrect. Help with the proper finding of acceleration would be great.

If the block starts from rest, the initial velocity is zero. So if you know the distance, time and initial velocity, which kinematic equation will give you acceleration?

Ahh yes it is, could you tell me what you did to get the acceleration?

Ahhh I didn't even look at the kinematic equations. I will do that.

If it starts from rest you know:

- V1=0
- V2=?
- Displacement=12m
- Time=3s

To get V2 we use the equation that relates all our known variables. This equation is; Delta D={(v1+v2)/2}* Delta Time

After you find V2 use the equation A= (V2-V1)/Delta Time to find acceleration. From there plug A into Fnet=ma and find mass.

Last edited:
Awesome, that all works, thanks :)

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is measured in Newtons (N) and can be represented by a vector, which includes both magnitude and direction.

2. How is force related to mass?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F = m x a). This means that the more mass an object has, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

3. How can force be calculated?

Force can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where m is the mass of the object and a is the acceleration it experiences. Alternatively, force can also be calculated using Hooke's Law (F = -kx), which applies to objects that exhibit elastic behavior.

4. What is the difference between weight and mass?

While they are often used interchangeably, weight and mass are actually two different physical quantities. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in Newtons (N).

5. How can mass be determined using force?

Mass can be determined using the formula m = F/a, where F is the force acting on an object and a is the acceleration it experiences. This method is commonly used in experiments involving motion, such as finding the mass of a moving car by measuring the force needed to stop it.