Area under a curve (something missing from equation)

In summary: And the Pi*f^2 formula works if you're revolving around a y=constant line, otherwise you need to do 2*pi*r if you're revolving around x=constant (note f is always a function of x).In summary, the volume of the solid is 2pi(x)([f(x)] dx). Differentiating, the volume of the solid is 2(pi)x [(x^4)/4 + (8x^3/3) + (16x^2/2)]
fk378

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid given the following:
y=x^2
y=0
x=1
x=2
revolved about x=4

Homework Equations

Shell method: 2pi(x)([f(x)] dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I shifted the function left 4 units, so I replaced x's with x+4
This makes the new functions:
y=(x+4)^2
y=0
x=-3
x=-2
Using -2 and -3 as the bounds, I have the integral of 2(pi)x (x+4)^2 dx, which is to say 2(pi)x (x^2 + 8x + 16)dx, which equals 2(pi)(x^3 + 8x^2 + 16x)
Integrating I get:
2(pi) [(x^4)/4 + (8x^3/3) + (16x^2/2)]
After evaluating it from -3 to -2, I get a negative value.

However, the right answer is supposed to be 67(pi)/6
Anyone think they can catch what's wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiating I get:
2(pi) [(x^4)/4][8x^3/3][16x^2/2]

I think this step needs a bit more justification (for example, there's no way the integral of a cubic equation will get you an x9 term)

Office_Shredder said:
I think this step needs a bit more justification (for example, there's no way the integral of a cubic equation will get you an x9 term)

Thanks, I just clarified my steps...where do you see an x^9 term, though?

x^4*x^3*x^2 gives x^9.

I think you intended there to be + signs in there, and by differentiating you meant integrating.

If you fix those up, you should get the right answer

Sorry, that was actually a typo. I actually did add the terms up.

When I added up the terms, I got the right answer. There's really not much more to say at that point

I don't think so...I keep getting a different answer than 67pi/6... Are you sure you used the same integral as I did?

Well, doing 2(pi) [(x^4)/4 + (8x^3/3) + (16x^2/2)] and evaluating it as F(-2)-F(-3) gives the negative of the answer, but since for volume calculation you have to take the absolute value of the function (otherwise you get negative volume, and noting that as x goes from -3 to -2, x(x+4)^2 is negative, we simply need to take the negative of the answer to get what we really wanted.

I checked again, and got the same 67/6*Pi. Try typing in your calculations

Ohhh, now I'm getting the right answer in negative form. I don't understand the reasoning behind taking the absolute value (or the part where you said that (x+4)^2 is negative as x goes from -3 to -2---isn't the slope positive there?)...how do you know you just need to take the negative of it instead of thinking that you did a wrong computation?

2*pi*r is the area of a circle, and then you replace r by f(x) to measure the distance of the function from axis of revolution. Of course, distance is positive (and 2*pi*r must be positive), so we need to throw in an absolute value sign. it's similar to how if you're asked to find the area between the graph of x^3 and the x-axis when x is between -1 and 1, the answer isn't zero because you take the negative of the integral for negative x.

Then x(x+4)^2 is negative as (x+4)^2 is always positive, and as x is negative on the whole domain, clearly x is negative. positive*negative gives negative, so you're done.

In general, you should always put absolute value signs around your function, and then check to see when it's positive and negative. A good way to see you messed it up is if your answer comes out negative, but that won't always happen (see the x^3 example with x between -1 and 2)

x^2 at x=4 if you are shifting it then the equation becomes (x-4)^2. Also if you want to find a volume of a solid you need to revolve using PI*(f(x))^2.

Dietrick said:
x^2 at x=4 if you are shifting it then the equation becomes (x-4)^2.

No, if you want to find a new variable x' so x=4 transforms to x'=0, setting x'+4=x gives x'+4=4 hence x'=0 So in the x^2 case, you get x'+4=x so (x'+4)^2=x^2

And the Pi*f^2 formula works if you're revolving around a y=constant line, otherwise you need to do 2*pi*r if you're revolving around x=constant (note f is always a function of x). You can find more online by googling washer vs. shell method

Last edited:
Ok so revolved about x=4 doesn't mean moving it to x=4? Just a little unsure of the question is all.

Well, the notation isn't great because he keeps x for the new variable. So if x=4, you want to shift it so that instead of x-4=0, you get x=0. clearly, you need to add 4 to x, so x becomes x+4

1. What is the concept of "Area under a curve"?

The concept of "Area under a curve" refers to the area enclosed between a given curve and the x-axis on a graph. It is also known as the definite integral of the curve and is often used in calculus to calculate the total area of a region.

2. How is the "Area under a curve" calculated?

The "Area under a curve" is calculated by using definite integrals in calculus. The integral of a function over a certain interval gives the area under the curve within that interval. This can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the interval.

3. Why is the "Area under a curve" important in science?

The "Area under a curve" is important in science because it allows us to calculate the total amount of a quantity or phenomenon. This can be used to analyze data, make predictions, and understand trends in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

4. What are some real-world applications of the "Area under a curve"?

The "Area under a curve" has many real-world applications, such as calculating the total distance traveled by an object with varying velocity, finding the total amount of medication in a patient's body over time, and determining the total energy generated by a power plant over a period of time.

5. Does the shape of the curve affect the "Area under a curve"?

Yes, the shape of the curve does affect the "Area under a curve". A curve with a larger area under it will have a greater impact on the total calculation compared to a curve with a smaller area. Additionally, the shape of the curve can also affect the method used to calculate the area, such as using different integration techniques for different types of curves.