Solving for Roots of a Polynomial Equation

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a matrix and its characteristic polynomial. The speaker suggests forming the matrix M-x*I and taking its determinant to find the characteristic polynomial. They also mention the concept of minimal polynomial and how every matrix except the 0 matrix has one. The conversation also touches on finding numbers that make the determinant 0 and using them to find the minimal polynomial. Finally, the speaker asks for clarification on transforming the matrix.
Physics news on Phys.org
Just writing 'there is no minimal polynomial' isn't much of a try. Form the matrix M-x*I and take it's determinant to get the characteristic polynomial and then factor to see if there are repeated factors you can drop.

Having concluded, correctly, that MT is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]
How can you declare that MT v= 0? For all v? By the definition of M, M<1, 0, 0, 0>= <0, 0, 0, 1>. The only matrix that takes every vector to 0 is the 0 matrix! And every matrix except the 0 vector has a minimal polynomial. As Dick said, the characteristic polynomial is given by
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc} -\lambda & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & -\lambda & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & -\lambda & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & -\lambda \end{array}\right|[/tex]

Take out any repeated factors to get the minimal polynomial.

You have [itex]\lambda^5- \lambda^2+ \lambda- 1[/itex] and then a arrow pointing to
[itex](\lambda^2- 1)(\lambda^3+ 1)/\lambda[/itex]. How did you go from the first to the second? Oh, and since the determinant you are evaluating only has 4 [itex]\lambda s[/itex] in it, how are you getting [itex]\lambda^5[/itex]?

i was looking for numbers which make the hole thing 0

i put 1 and -1
and then i get
L=lamda
(L-1)(L+1)(ax^3+bx^2+cx+d)

i opened the colls and equalized the coeffishents
and fount the a b c d

also i divided by L because i multiplied some line by L
so the determinant must be divided by L

what now??

and also can you please answer on my PM about the question
of the transformation
i really want to understand this thing from top to bottom

1. What is a minimal polynomial?

A minimal polynomial is a polynomial of the least degree that has a given root. It is the smallest polynomial that has the given root as a solution.

2. How do you find the minimal polynomial of a given root?

To find the minimal polynomial of a given root, you can use the method of substitution. Plug in the root value into the polynomial and see if it equals to zero. If it does, then that polynomial is the minimal polynomial of the root.

3. Can a minimal polynomial have multiple roots?

Yes, a minimal polynomial can have multiple roots. This means that the polynomial has more than one solution that makes it equal to zero. This can occur when the root has a multiplicity greater than one.

4. How is the degree of a minimal polynomial determined?

The degree of a minimal polynomial is determined by the degree of the given root. If the root has a degree of n, then the minimal polynomial will have a degree of n.

5. What is the significance of a minimal polynomial?

The minimal polynomial is significant in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra and number theory. It helps us understand the relationship between a root and its corresponding polynomial and can be used to solve various problems and equations.