Concentration problem

In summary, the first equation given, dx/dt = x - x^2, is a hint to solving the second question. The second question involves finding the time it takes for a one gallon jug to be 90% full of liquid when liquid is pumped in at a rate of 1/4 gallon per minute, and the rate of flow is proportional to both the volume of liquid and air in the jug. The equation for this is dV/dt = k(V)(1-V), where V is the amount of liquid in the jug and k is the constant of proportionality. The initial rate of flow is 1/4 gallon per minute, and the initial volume of liquid is 1/2 gallon.
eeriana

Homework Statement

2 part question: part one is supposed to be a hint to part two.
1) find the general solution to the equation: dx/dt = x - x^2
2)A one gallon jug is half full of a liquid and half full of air. Additional liquid is being pumped in at a rate of 1/4 gallon per minute. If the rate at which the liquid flows into the container is proportional to both the volume of liquid in the jug and the volume of air in the jug, how long will it be before the jug is 90% full of liquid?

Homework Equations

dx/dt = r(i)c(i) - (r(o)/V)x

The Attempt at a Solution

If I have calculated the first part correctly, I came up with t = ln(x/1-x) - C

I know the rate in of the liquid is .25 gal/min. Rate out is 0. I am not seeing the connection to the first equation. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
eeriana said:

Homework Statement

2 part question: part one is supposed to be a hint to part two.
1) find the general solution to the equation: dx/dt = x - x^2
2)A one gallon jug is half full of a liquid and half full of air. Additional liquid is being pumped in at a rate of 1/4 gallon per minute. If the rate at which the liquid flows into the container is proportional to both the volume of liquid in the jug and the volume of air in the jug, how long will it be before the jug is 90% full of liquid?

Homework Equations

dx/dt = r(i)c(i) - (r(o)/V)x
This is meaningless without saying what the variables mean. I might assume that "x" is the amount of liquid in the jar, but, in that case, what is V? Are "r(i)" and "r(o)" "rate in" and "rate out"? But what is c(i)?

The Attempt at a Solution

If I have calculated the first part correctly, I came up with t = ln(x/1-x) - C
So what is x as a function of t?

[/quote]I know the rate in of the liquid is .25 gal/min. Rate out is 0. I am not seeing the connection to the first equation. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
[/QUOTE]
It took me a while to make sense of it but I think that by "the rate at which the liquid flows into the container is proportional to both the volume of liquid in the jug" they mean the rate is jointly proportional: that is dV/dt= k(V)(A) where V is the amount of liquid in the bottle at time t and A is the amount of air in the bottle at time t, both measured in gallons. Since the bottle holds one gallon, A= 1- V so the equation is dV/dt= k(V)(1- V).

Unfortunately, now the "Additional liquid is being pumped in at a rate of 1/4 gallon per minute." makes no sense! I can only assume that is to tell you the "constant of proportionality", k, and guess that it is only at the beginning, at t= 0 that the rate is 1/4 gallon per minute. Since V(0)= 1/2, A(0)= 1/2, k(V)(A)= k(1/2)(1/2)= k/4= 1/4 so k= 1. If that was what was intended, they should have said "initially" the liquid was being pumped in at a rate of 1/4 gallon per minute.

HallsofIvy said:
This is meaningless without saying what the variables mean. I might assume that "x" is the amount of liquid in the jar, but, in that case, what is V? Are "r(i)" and "r(o)" "rate in" and "rate out"? But what is c(i)?

c(i) is concentration in.

So what is x as a function of t?
I know the rate in of the liquid is .25 gal/min. Rate out is 0. I am not seeing the connection to the first equation. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
[/QUOTE]
It took me a while to make sense of it but I think that by "the rate at which the liquid flows into the container is proportional to both the volume of liquid in the jug" they mean the rate is jointly proportional: that is dV/dt= k(V)(A) where V is the amount of liquid in the bottle at time t and A is the amount of air in the bottle at time t, both measured in gallons. Since the bottle holds one gallon, A= 1- V so the equation is dV/dt= k(V)(1- V).

Unfortunately, now the "Additional liquid is being pumped in at a rate of 1/4 gallon per minute." makes no sense! I can only assume that is to tell you the "constant of proportionality", k, and guess that it is only at the beginning, at t= 0 that the rate is 1/4 gallon per minute. Since V(0)= 1/2, A(0)= 1/2, k(V)(A)= k(1/2)(1/2)= k/4= 1/4 so k= 1. If that was what was intended, they should have said "initially" the liquid was being pumped in at a rate of 1/4 gallon per minute.[/QUOTE]

so k is the proportionality? I am not quite sure where k came from. I am also not getting the connection to the first equation, and my instructor said that the first equation is a hint to solving the other. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help

1. What is a concentration problem?

A concentration problem, also known as a concentration deficit or difficulty concentrating, is a cognitive issue that affects a person's ability to focus, pay attention, and maintain mental effort on a particular task or activity.

2. What are the common symptoms of a concentration problem?

Some common symptoms of a concentration problem include difficulty staying focused, being easily distracted, forgetfulness, disorganization, and trouble completing tasks or following instructions.

3. What are the possible causes of a concentration problem?

There are many potential causes of a concentration problem, including medical conditions such as ADHD, anxiety, depression, and sleep disorders. Other factors that may contribute to concentration problems include stress, poor nutrition, lack of physical activity, and substance abuse.

4. How is a concentration problem diagnosed?

A concentration problem can be diagnosed through a comprehensive evaluation by a healthcare professional, which may include a physical exam, psychological assessment, and review of medical history and symptoms. Other tests, such as cognitive assessments or brain imaging, may also be used to rule out other potential causes.

5. What are some strategies for improving concentration?

There are several strategies that can help improve concentration, including breaking tasks into smaller, manageable chunks, creating a distraction-free environment, practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques, getting regular exercise and adequate sleep, and seeking support from a therapist or counselor if needed.