Efficiently Computing x in 18sinxcosx=1-6sinx Equation

• Thread starter O garcia
  • Start date
I just did it in a hurry. Thanks for pointing it out.In summary, the equation 18sinxcosx=1-6sinx cannot be solved easily using algebraic methods. The solutions are periodic and can be found by plotting the function or using trigonometric identities. Squaring both sides and using the quadratic formula does not work in this case.
O garcia
Hey can anyone help me? I'm trying to compute x in this equation:
18sinxcosx=1-6sinx

Would there be an easy way other than trial and error?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this could be rewritten as 1 - 6 sin x - 9 sin 2x = 0 , I don't think there's a tidy way to solve for x . The solutions are periodic (so there are an infinite number of them), but don't appear to take on obvious values.

Rather than just try solutions one by one, you could plot f(x) = 1 - 6 sin x - 9 sin 2x and locate the zeroes of the curve. There are four solutions in the interval [0, 2·pi]. The good news is that the function has a period of 2·(pi), so once you find those four, you can describe all the rest.

scrap this

Last edited:
If you square both sides and plug in [itex]\cos^2 x = 1 - \sin^2 x[/itex] then you will obtain a quadratic in sin, which you can solve using the quadratic formula.

Uh, you get a QUADRIC equation, which you can solve by the QUADRIC formula. Looks pretty nasty to me.

By trigonometric sine rule, sin(a)cos(b)=(1/2)[sin(a+b)+sin(a-b)]
Edit: sorry, I'll use a and b to avoid confusion. Since a=b=x, then
Simplify this equation, we get (1/2)[sin(2x)+sin(x-x)]=sin(2x)/2 (*)

Plug (*) into the LHS, then we get 9sin(x)=1-6sin(x)
Solve, for x. It should be easy from here. =]

Last edited:
DavidWhitbeck said:
If you square both sides and plug in [itex]\cos^2 x = 1 - \sin^2 x[/itex] then you will obtain a quadratic in sin, which you can solve using the quadratic formula.

Hmm..I posted something similar to that but deleted it since I set the coefficient of -a*sin(x) to 1 instead of 6.
One thing to note though, if you fling this into a CAS...you get a very, ahem... 'clever looking' solution. (ie; ridiculously messy!) :tongue2:

konthelion said:
By trigonometric sine rule, sin(x)cos(x)=(1/2)[sin(x+x)+sin(a-x)]
Simplify this equation, we get (1/2)[sin(2x)+sin(x-x)]=sin(2x)/2 (*)

Plug (*) into the LHS, then we get 9sin(x)=1-6sin(x)
Solve, for x. It should be easy from here. =]

You dropped a '2' in that last equation: that should be

9 sin(2x) = 1 - 6 sin(x) ,

which is what I gave back in post #2. Unfortunately, there isn't any nice way to solve that...

DavidWhitbeck said:

Alas, I looked at that possibility and it doesn't work for this equation. An approach of that sort will work for certain special cases of the numerical coefficients -- but this ain't one o'them...

Last edited:
dynamicsolo said:
You dropped a '2' in that last equation: that should be

9 sin(2x) = 1 - 6 sin(x) ,

which is what I gave back in post #2. Unfortunately, there isn't any nice way to solve that...
Ah, sorry. I didn't see that.

1. How do I compute x using a calculator?

To compute x using a calculator, you would need to input the numbers and operations required to solve the equation. For example, if x = 4 + 3, you would enter "4 + 3 =" into the calculator and it would give you the answer 7.

2. Can I compute x without a calculator?

Yes, you can compute x without a calculator by using paper and pencil or mental math. This method may take longer and may be more prone to errors, but it is a useful skill to have.

3. What is the order of operations when computing x?

The order of operations when computing x is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction). This means you must solve any operations inside parentheses first, then any exponents, followed by multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right).

4. How do I solve for x in an algebraic equation?

To solve for x in an algebraic equation, you must isolate the variable by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation. For example, if x + 5 = 10, you would subtract 5 from both sides to get x = 5.

5. What is the difference between computing x and solving for x?

Computing x refers to finding the numerical value of x in a given equation, while solving for x refers to finding the value of x that makes the equation true. In other words, computing x gives you a specific answer, while solving for x gives you a variable that can take on different values.