What are the pros and cons of different C++ compilers for scientific computing?

In summary, the conversation is about choosing a C++ compiler for numerical integration and Fast Fourier transforms on an MS OS running on Intel Duo core processors. The options suggested are Intel C++ Compiler, MS Visual Studio 2005, and MS Visual Studio 2008. The suggestion is made to test different optimisation flags on the same compiler in order to find the best option for the specific application. Additionally, the choice of libraries can also have a significant impact on performance.
orstats
Hello:

I need to write some numerical integration and do Fast Fourier transforms in c++. I am running MS OS on Intel Duo core processors. Earlier post suggested downloading libraries such as MLK. Since I am running on Intel, I have found Intel's MLK library. I will need other libraries along the way. However, before that I need to choose a C++ compiler to download.

What are you suggestions? E.g., Intel C++ Compiler vs. MS Visual Studio 2005 vs. MS Visual Studio 2008 etc.

Because our problem may not be solved easily in MATLAB. We're moving into C++. Thank you!

Technology news on Phys.org
VS2008 compiler (version 9) has much better standard compliance than previous MS compilers. GCC always had very good optimisation because it's output format allowed link-level function optimisation. Intel's compiler should have an advantage.

What is probably mor elikely to have a bigger effect is the libraries - especially if they are optomisedfor a particular processor. Intel used to ship different versions of it's image libs which autodetected your processor.

You will have to do some testing to find out which is best for your app. With pipelines, cache effects and the number of possible optimisations in modern compilers you really have to test - even with different optimise flags on the same compiler.

I understand the importance of choosing the right tools for scientific computing. In terms of C++ compilers, there are a few options to consider, each with their own pros and cons.

Intel C++ Compiler is a popular choice for scientific computing as it is optimized for Intel processors. This means it can potentially provide faster and more efficient code execution. It also has support for parallel programming, which can be useful for numerical integration and Fast Fourier transforms. However, it may come at a higher cost compared to other compilers.

MS Visual Studio 2005 and 2008, on the other hand, are both popular choices for general programming and development. They have good debugging tools and a user-friendly interface, making them easy to use for beginners. However, they may not be as optimized for scientific computing as the Intel compiler.

In terms of libraries, it's important to ensure compatibility with your chosen compiler. For example, if you choose to use the Intel C++ Compiler, it would make sense to also use the Intel MLK library for optimal performance.

Ultimately, the best compiler for your project will depend on your specific needs and preferences. I would recommend researching and comparing the features and capabilities of each compiler, and perhaps even trying out a few to see which one works best for you. Good luck with your project!

What is a C++ compiler?

A C++ compiler is a computer program that translates source code written in the C++ programming language into machine code, which can be understood and executed by a computer. It is an essential tool for software development in C++ as it allows programmers to write and test their code without having to manually convert it into machine code.

What are the advantages of using a C++ compiler?

C++ compilers offer several advantages, including faster compilation times, efficient memory management, and a wide range of optimization options. They also provide compatibility with various operating systems and hardware architectures, making it a versatile tool for developing cross-platform applications.

What are the disadvantages of using a C++ compiler?

One of the main disadvantages of using a C++ compiler is its complexity. C++ is a low-level language that requires a deep understanding of computer architecture and memory management. This can make it challenging for beginners to learn and use effectively. Additionally, C++ compilers can also produce long and complicated error messages, which can make debugging more difficult.

What are some popular C++ compilers?

Some popular C++ compilers include GCC (GNU Compiler Collection), Clang, Microsoft Visual C++, and Intel C++ Compiler. These compilers are widely used in the industry and are constantly updated to support the latest C++ standards and features.

Can C++ compilers be used for other languages?

Yes, some C++ compilers, such as GCC, also support other programming languages like C, Fortran, and Ada. Additionally, some compilers have been designed specifically to support multiple languages, such as the LLVM (Low-Level Virtual Machine) compiler infrastructure.