Dealing with a D- in Physics: Requirements and Graduation Concerns

• Thread starter notfaroff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is stressed about their physics grade and the fact that they may not be able to graduate due to not meeting the requirements for their major. They are seeking advice on what to do and if a D- is considered a passing grade. They are also frustrated that they were allowed to take a higher level physics course despite not doing well in the first one. They are advised to seek help from their guidance counselor at their school.
notfaroff
Did I pass or FAIL?!? HELP ME!

Hey guys, I really need some help with this, I am stressing out to the max.

I took Physics 1 two years ago, my sophomore year of college, first semester. I didn't do so well, actually I did downright horrible. I got a D-. Yes, I know, don't rub it in, it was a really tough semester. I am an architecture major, and need the physics credits for my requirements. I knew that it wasn't a good grade, but all I wanted to do was pass, and I did that.

Then I took second semester Physics, got a B-, and it was fine. Also, this past fall, I took the lab requirement for Physics 1 (somehow I didn't do that before) and got an A. I am graduating after this next year, in 2009, and NOW the school is telling me that I need my Physics 1 requirement... WHY DIDN'T THEY TELL ME THIS BEFORE?!? I am freaking out, thinking that I don't have the time or energy to take physics again, and I NEED TO GRADUATE! Is a D- a passing grade? If not, why would they have let me take Physics 2? And doesn't the fact that I already took Physics 2 sort of exemplify me from Physics 1??

Please, please help me, I don't know what to do. I'm pretty sure its too late to get my grade changed, but I mean honestly why couldn't they have just given me a D instead of a D-? Is it really necessary to make my life worse? What can I do about this?

Any suggestions at all are much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well the grade you received is the grade you earned. They are not obliged to change that. Have you consulted your college's policies? A D- is barely passing. Perhaps you had to maintain a certain grade in physics as an architectural major?

Your guidance counselor should be able to help you better than anyone here. You said that all you wanted to do was pass. Well that's not a good attitude but are you sure all you were required to do was pass?

Yes, I understand that the grade I received is not likely changeable. I needed to pass two semesters of Physics to be able to major in architectural design... something that does not necessarily have to be physics related, so yes, all I wanted (and needed) to do is pass. Many architecture students are not science whizzes, so this is a common topic of discussion, and one that I was fairly certain on. Calculus - not a problem. Physics is. I just assumed that the fact that I got a B in physics 2, a much harder class, would say something.

One should talk to a guidance counselor at one's university. Usually a grade of C is required to get credit toward fulfilling requirements. In one's core curriculum, grade B or C+ (e.g. GPA of 2.5) might be required.

I'm not an architecture major, but I DO know that at my school, the Physics 1-2 classes are prerequisites for some of the upper level architecture classes. Usually with a prerequisite you need a C or better for it to count. It's quite possible that you were able to register for the other classes when you shouldn't have been able to. I'd definitely check with your advisor ( if they're any good at your school...they suck at mine ) to find out what's going on.

Nah, I'm sure its not a C requirement, although I know that some majors like econ, pre-med, etc. have that. I honestly think its the difference between a D and a D-, which really pisses me off. I just don't understand how they would let me take second semester if I didn't "pass".

"One" will talk to her guidance counselor at the Architecture school on one's lunch break from one's job today. Thanks for your help.

Truth.

notfaroff said:
Hey guys, I really need some help with this, I am stressing out to the max.

I took Physics 1 two years ago, my sophomore year of college, first semester. I didn't do so well, actually I did downright horrible. I got a D-. Yes, I know, don't rub it in, it was a really tough semester. I am an architecture major, and need the physics credits for my requirements. I knew that it wasn't a good grade, but all I wanted to do was pass, and I did that.

Then I took second semester Physics, got a B-, and it was fine. Also, this past fall, I took the lab requirement for Physics 1 (somehow I didn't do that before) and got an A. I am graduating after this next year, in 2009, and NOW the school is telling me that I need my Physics 1 requirement... WHY DIDN'T THEY TELL ME THIS BEFORE?!? I am freaking out, thinking that I don't have the time or energy to take physics again, and I NEED TO GRADUATE! Is a D- a passing grade? If not, why would they have let me take Physics 2? And doesn't the fact that I already took Physics 2 sort of exemplify me from Physics 1??

Please, please help me, I don't know what to do. I'm pretty sure its too late to get my grade changed, but I mean honestly why couldn't they have just given me a D instead of a D-? Is it really necessary to make my life worse? What can I do about this?

Any suggestions at all are much appreciated.

You really are asking the wrong people here.

Each school has its own requirement and criteria. There's no "generic" or universal guide for us to tell you you "passed" or "failed". Both your school and more importantly, your department, will have their own set of requirement that you must fulfilled. Those are info that we do not have. It doesn't matter what we think, and it doesn't matter what you think. It is what the requirement is. You should have concentrated your effort in talking to your academic adviser who should have such info at his/her fingertips.

Zz.

WHY DIDN'T THEY TELL ME THIS BEFORE?!?

haha, you must be new to this. Universities will screw you over, under, and sideways, any which way they want to make more money. Go to the head of the physics department and see if there is a "i don't need to take this class" exam you can take to replace your grade. Many schools offer exams for incoming students to test out of courses which they are already familiar with. The way it works with my school is, you pay the test fee ($75ish), and take the exam at the end of the semester. If you pass the exam you are awarded 4 credits and a PASSING mark (just a P, not an A or B or anything) showing that you met the requirement for that class in order to have it count towards your graduation.

*sigh*

Thank you, topher.

notfaroff said:
WHY DIDN'T THEY TELL ME THIS BEFORE?!?
I don't know the situation at your college, but at the universities I have attended, it is the job of the student to check the requirements for their degree. It is also upto the student to only take classes for which s/he has the appropriate prerequisites: i.e. if you fail physics 1, then you should not be enrolled in physics 2. Whilst it is a pretty bad situation you have found yourself in, I imagine that this would have been avoided were you to actually read the regulations in your college handbook/guidebook, or webpage.

Why is it that all of the so-called "mentors" feel the need to speak to me in this condescending, you-should-have-already-know-this-had-you-been-as-smart-as-ME-attitude? And when I reply in a similar manner, I get warned? I'm so concerned... I might get kicked off the site, oh no! I can't function in society! I go to an ivy league school and live in nyc! Since I can't do physics, I'll never make it! What am I going to do?!?

Get over yourselves. You are here to HELP people (and you volunteer to do this, might I add). Not to show off how smart you are.

I'm sorry if no-one here has told you what you want to hear. Though, I don't see the point in asking for advice if you have no intention of listening to it. Furthermore, I don't see anything condescending in any of the posts in this thread. However, you have across in an extremely aggressive manner: why would anyone want to help someone who is abusive and sarcastic with them?

notfaroff said:
Why is it that all of the so-called "mentors" feel the need to speak to me in this condescending, you-should-have-already-know-this-had-you-been-as-smart-as-ME-attitude? And when I reply in a similar manner, I get warned? I'm so concerned... I might get kicked off the site, oh no! I can't function in society! I go to an ivy league school and live in nyc! Since I can't do physics, I'll never make it! What am I going to do?!?

Get over yourselves. You are here to HELP people (and you volunteer to do this, might I add). Not to show off how smart you are.
You really seem to have a problem with people that tell you the honest truth without babying you. It *is* your responsibility.

I hope that for your sake you use better judgement and act more mature when you speak with the school counselor.

Last edited:

notfaroff said:
We provided assistance. None of us is familiar with one's particular school or it's policies.

The best advice is to contact the school's guidance office.

I generally use the third person rather than second person. And there is nothing condescending in our responses.

1. How do I know if I passed or failed?

The best way to determine if you passed or failed is to check your final grade or score from your instructor or the testing organization. They will have the most accurate information about your performance and can provide you with a definitive answer.

2. What is the passing grade for the exam or course?

The passing grade will vary depending on the specific exam or course you are taking. Some may require a passing score of 70%, while others may require a passing score of 80% or higher. It is important to check with your instructor or refer to the exam/course guidelines for this information.

3. Can I retake the exam if I failed?

This will also depend on the specific exam or course. Some may allow for retakes, while others may not. It is best to check with your instructor or the testing organization to see if retakes are an option and what the process may be.

4. What should I do if I failed?

If you failed, it is important to first understand why you failed. Review your exam or course materials and identify areas where you may need improvement. You can also seek help from your instructor or a tutor to better prepare for future exams or courses.

5. Will failing this exam or course affect my overall academic standing?

This will depend on your school or institution's policies. In some cases, failing an exam or course may not have a significant impact on your overall academic standing. However, it is best to check with your school or advisor to understand the potential consequences of failing.