Solving Newtons Cooling Law: LnT = -kt +LnC

In summary, the conversation is discussing Newton's cooling law, specifically the equation LnT = -kt + LnC. The problem is to solve for the constant and lnC, and the student is unsure of what they are trying to do and asks for an explanation of the formula.
xlgurulx
Newtons cooling law?

Homework Statement

uh for my lab report the problem is i have to solve for the constnat and the lnC? look below

Homework Equations

teacher said something about LnT =Lne^-kt +LnC
transposes into ==> LnT = -kt +LnC
uh and i have the temperatures to do this.. but i don't know exactly what I am trying to do

The Attempt at a Solution

seen as i don't know how to do it and I am only in precalc i don't really get what I am trying to do... as well can someone explain what this formula means?

Physics news on Phys.org

xlgurulx said:

Homework Statement

uh for my lab report the problem is i have to solve for the constnat and the lnC? look below

Homework Equations

teacher said something about LnT =Lne^-kt +LnC
transposes into ==> LnT = -kt +LnC
uh and i have the temperatures to do this.. but i don't know exactly what I am trying to do

The Attempt at a Solution

seen as i don't know how to do it and I am only in precalc i don't really get what I am trying to do... as well can someone explain what this formula means?

Welcome to PF.

Here is a link that discusses the properties of natural logarithms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_logarithm

Perhaps that will help you understand the transform.

I can explain what Newton's cooling law is and how to solve it.

Newton's cooling law is a mathematical model that describes the rate at which an object cools down or loses heat to its surroundings. It states that the rate of change of temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between its initial temperature and the temperature of its surroundings. This can be represented by the equation LnT = -kt + LnC, where T represents the temperature of the object, k is a constant, and C is the initial temperature of the object.

To solve this equation, you need to have values for T, k, and C. The ln function is the natural logarithm, and it allows us to solve for T by isolating it on one side of the equation. To do this, you can take the natural log of both sides of the equation, which will give you LnT = Ln(e^-kt) + LnC. From there, you can use logarithm rules to simplify the equation and solve for T.

As for the constant k and the initial temperature C, these can be determined experimentally by collecting data on the temperature of an object over time and plugging those values into the equation. This will allow you to solve for k and C, which can then be used to predict the temperature of the object at any given time.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the formula and how to solve it. If you still have questions, I suggest consulting with your teacher or a tutor for further clarification. Good luck with your lab report!

1. What is Newton's Cooling Law?

Newton's Cooling Law is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which an object cools down in a given environment. It states that the rate of change of temperature (T) of an object is directly proportional to the difference between the object's temperature and the temperature of the surrounding environment (T - Tenv). This relationship can be expressed as LnT = -kt + LnC, where k is a constant and C is the initial temperature of the object.

2. How is Newton's Cooling Law used in science?

Newton's Cooling Law is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the cooling process of objects. It is particularly useful in fields such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics.

3. What does the "Ln" in the equation represent?

The "Ln" in the equation stands for natural logarithm. It is a mathematical function that is used to describe the relationship between the initial temperature of an object and its temperature at a given time in the cooling process.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of using Newton's Cooling Law?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of using Newton's Cooling Law include the shape and material of the object, the surrounding environment (e.g. air temperature, humidity), and any external factors such as wind or insulation. Additionally, the accuracy of the constant k can also affect the accuracy of the equation.

5. Can Newton's Cooling Law be used to predict the temperature of an object over time?

Yes, Newton's Cooling Law can be used to predict the temperature of an object over time, as long as the initial temperature, constant k, and surrounding environment remain constant. However, the accuracy of the prediction may be affected by the factors mentioned in question 4. Therefore, it is important to consider these factors when using the equation for prediction purposes.