[Q]Some confusing about Dirac Delta Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the Dirac Delta Function in solving quantum mechanics problems for graduate school preparation. The correct formula for the delta function is -2it pi(k_2-k_1) and the limits must be infinite to get the delta function. In the case of finite ranges, such as in a box, the eigenfunctions are different and the delta function can still be expressed as a linear combination of these eigenfunctions. The conclusion is that orthogonality is not limited to infinite domains and can still be achieved in physically restricted cases.
good_phy
Hi.

Recently day, I tried to solve quantum mechanics problem in liboff fourth version to prepare

graduate school.

But what make me be confused a lot is Dirac Delta Function.

One of my confusing on Dirac Delta is what i wrote below.

-One of the formula describing Dira Delta Function is [tex] \int_{\infty}^{\infty}e^{-2{\pi}
(k_{2}-k_{1})}dt = \delta (k_{2}-k_{1}) [/tex]

If, we are replacing [itex] \infty [/itex] some finite constance, it means integration range
changed to some finite range, Do we still get [itex] \delta (k_{2}-k_{1}) [/itex]

This is important problem because a lot of quantum problem have finite range, so orthogonality is damaged if delta function can not be derived from finite integral.

please assist to me. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is wrong. The exponent should be -2it pi(k_2-k_1).
The limits must be infinite to get the delta function.
In box normalization, as an alternative to delta function normalization,
the limits are +/- L and then the limit L-->infinity is taken.
If a problem really does have a finite range, then the efs will not be simple exponentials.

I see, Thank you So thank to your assistant. I can make conclusion that

Hermition operator produces orthogonal eigen function but, orthogonality only persists in

case of that domain of eigen function is infinity,

In other word, orthogonality is break up with physical restriction.(Real physics, there is

almost no infinity demain)

Please anybody correct my careful conclusion.

good_phy said:
So thank to your assistant. I can make conclusion that Hermition operator produces orthogonal eigenfunction but, orthogonality only persists in
case of that domain of eigenfunction is infinity
No, not correct. In a box, the eigenfunctions are orthogonal, but not all momenta are allowed. The simplest case, mathematically, is periodic boundary conditions. In a box of length L, the eigenfunctions are exp[2 pi i n x/L], n=...,-1,0,1,..., and these are orthogonal.

Last edited:
The delta function can always be expressed as a linear combination of eigenfunctions for whatever potential you have. As noted, when the box is finite, the eigenfunctions themselves are different.

What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, also known as the unit impulse function, is a mathematical function that is used to model a point mass or spike in a system. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinitely tall and has an area of one.

How is the Dirac Delta Function used in science?

The Dirac Delta Function is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent the concentration of a point mass, such as an electric charge or a mass in a mechanical system. It is also used in signal processing to model an impulse response or a spike in a signal.

What are the properties of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function has several important properties, including the sifting property, which states that when integrated with a continuous function, it picks out the value of the function at the origin. It also has a scaling property, where the function is scaled by a factor when the argument is scaled by the same factor.

Is the Dirac Delta Function a real function?

The Dirac Delta Function is not a traditional function in the sense that it does not have a well-defined value at every point, but rather it is a generalized function or distribution. It cannot be evaluated at a point, but rather has an integral equal to one when integrated with a continuous function.

How is the Dirac Delta Function related to the Kronecker Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function is a continuous counterpart to the Kronecker Delta Function, which is a discrete function that takes the value of one at the origin and zero everywhere else. Both functions are used to represent a concentrated value at a specific point in a system.