Calculating Forces on a Tank with Flat Ends Using Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the pressure and resultant force on a tank with flat ends. The suggested approach is to draw a differential area element and integrate the pressure over it, taking into account the moment of the force. It is recommended to use both rectangular and polar coordinates for the integration rather than relying on pre-existing formulas.
Jason03
I am working on the problem below that is confusing me. I am not sure of how to approach the center of pressure and resultant force. I attempted the problem using the formulas for a rectangular wall but I am not sure if its right. The problem asks for the pressure acting against the FLAT ends of the tank. It wants the diagram labled from the side view so that's why I would think this problem would be approached as if it were a rectangle plus a circle for the ends. Any suggestions would be great.

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/prob1-1-1.jpg [Broken]

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/1-1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas?

I think the best way to attack this problem is to draw a differential area element on the end of the tank, and integrate the pressure over that area find the force. You will also need to find the moment of that force so that you can determine where the net force acts.

This is going to be a bit of integration, and it may work best to break it into parts. I would use rectangular coordinates to do the integration over the rectangular part of the end, and I would use polar coordinates to do the integration over the half circles to either side. With that, it will be a bit of dog work, but nothing really too difficult.

I would not try to use canned formulas, but rather I would suggest that you simply do the integrations. You will learn a lot more that way.

1. What is a force due to static fluid?

A force due to static fluid is a force that is exerted by a fluid on a stationary object. This force is caused by the weight of the fluid above the object, also known as hydrostatic pressure.

2. How is the magnitude of a force due to static fluid calculated?

The magnitude of a force due to static fluid can be calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the fluid above the object, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. What is the direction of a force due to static fluid?

The direction of a force due to static fluid is always perpendicular to the surface of the object. This means that the force acts in a direction that is perpendicular to the surface of the object that is in contact with the fluid.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the force due to static fluid?

The shape of an object does not affect the force due to static fluid, as long as the object is completely submerged in the fluid. This is because the force is only dependent on the height of the fluid above the object and the area of the object that is in contact with the fluid.

5. Can a force due to static fluid be greater than the weight of the fluid?

Yes, a force due to static fluid can be greater than the weight of the fluid. This typically occurs when the fluid is contained in a container that has sloping sides or when the object is not completely submerged in the fluid. In these cases, the force due to static fluid is calculated using the projected area of the object in the direction of the force.