Physics Geeks Give me your Wisdom

• Thread starter ougnala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is a graduating senior in high school who wants to study chemical engineering. They have taken all AP courses and have done well, but feel burnt out and lacking passion for physics. They are looking for inspiration and suggestions on how to reignite their love for the subject, including reading books and solving physics problems. They also mention a potential physics group and the importance of never being satisfied as a physicist. However, they also advise against neglecting hygiene as a means of focusing on physics.
ougnala
I'm a graduating senior in high school. I want to study chemical engineering. I have taken all AP courses throughout my HS career had have done well (except in history). I just finished linear algebra, and I'll be taking diff eq over the summer. But the case with me is that I'm a hardcore asian physics GEEK just wanting to burst out of my shell. On the outside, I'm a laid back young adult with Major senioritis. I used to be super great about my homework and agenda, but now... I mean I just don't work. In fact, I have a unit history test to make up tomorrow (today), it's 12:06 AM, I have barely read a single chapter, and yet I'm writing this thread... anyways you get the idea

First of all, I'm looking for the passion that I once had for physics. That passion left me when I took AP physics my sophomore year. The teacher made it hell. For me, I like to see physics in a way that's applicable to real life rather than just math equations. My curiosity still brings me to look up physics theories and stuff, but those seem like they were pulled out of a hat...

Anyways, I'm looking for inspiration. I want to LOve physics again... I have to because I'm certainly not going into English or something. Any suggestions on books I can read? personal stories? etc etc.

Also, I'll be auditing a physics course over the summer. It'll be over the stuff in AP Physics Mechanics C, on which I got a 5, but I forgot pretty much all of it.

Thanks for reading. Please leave a helpful response.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read scientific american and every book on the physics section of your local book store that looks interesting.

-Come up with physics problems on your own and try and solve them. There is an uncountable set of physics that goes on in a single day, I am sure you'll find something.

-If your keen, go find a big book on physics problems and solve all of them.

-If your looking for a challenge in mechanics the must have book is: Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolowenkow(there is diff eq)

-Some authors for books: Feynman, Thorn(if you like astrophysics),Greene, Newton's Principia. If you think you can handle it: The road to Reality, Pen Rose--It's quite brilliant and difficult, you don't have to understand the mechanics of the maths but the principle ideas.

-What about getting a physics group together? A Friday night with physics enthusiast solving physics problems or building stuff would be fun.

-One trick to being a real physicist: NEVER BE SATISFIED

Start neglecting hygiene. The sooner you do this, the easier it will be.-- no don't do that.

Winzer said:
Start neglecting hygiene. The sooner you do this, the easier it will be.

Every Physics/Engineering student's mantra.

Winzer said:
-

Start neglecting hygiene. The sooner you do this, the easier it will be.-- no don't do that.

djeitnstine said:
Every Physics/Engineering student's mantra.

Ah that explains why I am not a real physicist.I had a a wash.I think it was last Friday.

1. What is the definition of a "physics geek"?

A "physics geek" is someone who has a passion for and a deep understanding of physics, the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. What is the importance of physics in our daily lives?

Physics is essential in understanding our world and how it works. It is the foundation for many modern technologies and has applications in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and environmental science.

3. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

The best way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice solving problems and experiments. Additionally, reading and studying from reliable resources and seeking guidance from experts or teachers can also be helpful.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the belief that it is only for "geniuses" or that it only deals with complex theories. In reality, anyone can learn and understand physics, and it encompasses both simple and complex concepts.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in physics?

A background in physics can lead to various career opportunities, such as working in research and development, engineering, education, or in industries that require knowledge of physics, such as healthcare, energy, and aerospace.