Parametric Equations The Point?

In summary, parametric equations are used when there are multiple dependent variables, such as in two dimensional projectile motion. They are also used for their flexibility in representing curves that may fold, wrap, or cross, making it easier to perform calculations and avoid issues with vertical slopes. They have various applications, including in CAD programs and representing fonts.
DecayProduct
I have found a lot of information about how to solve and graph parametric equations, but what I want to know is, what is the point, or why do they exist at all? The way I have seen it explained is that both x and y are stated in terms of another "term", usually t. But if I can state x and y in terms of t, shouldn't I be able to state t in terms of x, and therefore y in terms of x, like we are used to with Cartesian coordinates?

I read something on Wikipedia that described the parameter, t, something like this:

"the speed of a car is akin to the dependent variable, and the gas pedal is the independent variable. Press the pedal, the car goes a certain speed. Change the mechanical linkages, and you have changed a parameter by which the dependent relates to the independent"

Ok, so that sounds like, y = x in one setting, and changing the "parameters" would be like changing how y relates to x: like y = 2x. I'm having trouble actually articulating the question! So, what's the point? Why do they exist? What makes it any different than just using x to define the function(s)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They are used when you have multiple depedent variables.

A simple example would be two dimensional projectile motion. Both the horizontal and verticle displacement depend on the parameter time. A text on multivariable calculus should provide a sufficient explanation.

Good example: x=cos(t), y=sin(t). There is no 'nice' way to write y in terms of x such that you still get a full circle. When you do stuff like differentiation on a curve like a circle, you don't want to have to deal with the case of whether y is positive or negative, and a third case in case y=0

Parametric curves can fold, wrap, or cross. Try plotting

x = 26t^3 – 40t^2 + 15t - 1
y = -4t^2 +3t

where t is between 0 and 1. It would be a chore to solve the 2nd equation for t and substitute into the 1st. Much easier to leave it in parametric form. Also, parametric equations can have vertical slope. They are used for many purposes, such as CAD programs and for representing fonts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bézier_curve

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations used to represent a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters. These equations are commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to describe various physical phenomena.

How are parametric equations different from Cartesian equations?

Parametric equations use parameters to define the variables in the equation, while Cartesian equations use x and y coordinates. Parametric equations allow for more flexibility in representing curves and surfaces, while Cartesian equations are more limited in their scope.

What is the significance of the point in parametric equations?

The point in parametric equations represents the coordinates of a specific point on the curve or surface being described. It is typically denoted as (x,y) or (x(t),y(t)) where t is the parameter.

How do you graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, you can plot points by substituting different values for the parameter t and then connecting the points. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the curve or surface.

In what real-life situations are parametric equations used?

Parametric equations are used in many real-life situations, such as designing roller coasters, modeling projectile motion, and creating computer-generated graphics. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and astronomy to describe various phenomena.