Fulcrum of 1 weight versus mass of board

In summary: That is, you would need to have a weight of 96 oz (6 pounds) on the 6 inch end to balance the weight of the board at the center.In summary, the conversation discusses a design issue involving balance points and the use of calculus and physics equations to find the correct fulcrum placement for a bar with a weight at one end. The first part of the question asks for the equation to use in finding the current fulcrum, while the second part discusses finding the weight and spread of the counter weight in order to have the fulcrum at a specific distance from the end of the bar. The conversation also suggests placing the fulcrum halfway between the center of the board and the additional weight as a simpler
diodagoat
I am trying to solve a real-life design issue involving balance points. It's been a very long time since I've taken calculus and physics. I've search all equations for finding a fulcrum, and all of them assume the mass of the board used to balance is negligible.

Here is my scenario:

I have a 48" bar weighing 16 oz, so 1/3 oz per inch. At the far end, I want to place a 16 oz. weight. First part of the question: what equation would I use to find my current fulcrum. The simple equations tell me it will be directly under the weight, and I know this isn't true.

The second part is if I want the fulcrum to be 6 inches from the end of the bar, and I want the counter weight to be spread out over 24 inches starting from the opposite end, what is the weight/inch of the material I should use? Equations again would be helpful, as I understand my specs might have to change based on what I find.

O--------xxxxxxxx

So assuming that "-" is 3 inches with a weight of 1 oz., and "x" is 3 inches with a weight of 1 oz. plus w, and O has a weight of 16 oz., how do I find w so that the fulcrum is in the correct place?

I really appreciate any help on this. This is a project that I'd like to get correct the first time without having to go out and buy new materials after tons of trial and error.

Thanks again!
Dio.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you want the board to be balanced? A fulcrum is just used to amplify force, like when prying something. If you want it balanced just find the center of gravity and place the support there.

I believe that is what he is asking for!

diodagoat, You can think of the board as having its 16 oz weight concentrated at its center point. Suppose the fulcrum is placed "x" inches from the left end of the board and another 16 oz weight is placed at the right end, 48 inches from the left end. Since the total weight of the system is 32 oz, the fulcrum is exerting 32 oz upward at x inches from the left end, a torque of 32x (ounce-inches!) "counterclockwise" around the left end. The board itself is exerting 16 oz downward at, as I said, the center, 24 inches from the left end. That is a torque of (16)(24)= 384 clockwise around the left end. The additional weight is 16 oz 48 inches from the left end, a torque of (16)(48)= 768 clockwise around the left end. So there is a total torque of 32x counterclockwise and 384+ 768= 1152 clockwise. Since the board is not rotating those must be equal: 32x= 1152 so x= 35.37. The fulcrum must be 36 inches from the left end which is 12 inches to the right of the center point and 12 inches from the weight at the right end.

As soon as I did all that calculation, I realized: just put the fulcrum halfway between the center of the board and the additional weight!

The second part is if I want the fulcrum to be 6 inches from the end of the bar, and I want the counter weight to be spread out over 24 inches starting from the opposite end, what is the weight/inch of the material I should use? Equations again would be helpful, as I understand my specs might have to change based on what I find.
You can't. The center of the board is more than 6 inches from the end of the bar so have all of the weight (thinking of the weight of the board as concentrated at the center and the additional weight as concentrated at the center of its 24 inches) on one side of the fulcrum. In order to have the fulcrum only 6 inches from one end of the board, you are going to have to have a lot of weight on that 6 inch side.

For example, if you spread the weight over the entire 6 inches, you can think of it as concentrated at 3 inches from the fulcrum while the weight of the board, at the center, is 18 inches from it. For those to "balance" we must have 3w= 18(16) so w= 6(16)= 96 oz.

1. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different measurements. Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in newtons (N).

2. How does the fulcrum affect the balance of an object?

The fulcrum is the pivot point in a lever system and its position determines the balance of an object. When the fulcrum is closer to the heavier object, the weight will be greater and the lighter object will rise. However, when the fulcrum is closer to the lighter object, the weight will be less and the heavier object will rise.

3. Can the weight of the fulcrum impact the balance of the system?

Yes, the weight of the fulcrum can affect the balance of the system. The heavier the fulcrum, the more force it will exert on the objects on either side, potentially causing an imbalance.

4. How does the length of the board affect the balance of the system?

The length of the board affects the balance of the system by changing the distance between the objects and the fulcrum. The longer the board, the more leverage it provides, making it easier to lift heavier objects.

5. How can the fulcrum be moved to create balance between two objects of different weights?

To create balance between two objects of different weights, the fulcrum can be moved closer to the heavier object. This will decrease the weight on the heavier side and increase the weight on the lighter side, eventually creating a state of equilibrium.