Why Do Compact Fluorescent Lamps Striate When Connected to Dimmer Circuits?

• Thread starter NotoriousNick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lamp
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of Compact Fluorescent lamps striating when hooked up to a dimmer circuit. It is believed that this is a by-product of the triac used in the circuit. However, the striations occur at a slower frequency than the standard 60Hz. The cause of this phenomenon is unknown, but it is recommended to use dimmable CFLs instead of standard ones to avoid this issue.
NotoriousNick
We have Compact Fluorescent lamps hooked up to a dimmer circuit, and they are striating (flashing) at exactly the same frequency, even at full power setting, which tends to tell me it's circuit related.

Now I know that a dimmer circuit uses a triac to chop up the waveform, and therefore we're witnessing some by-product of this.

However, the striations seem to be a lot slower than 60Hz, otherwise I'm not sure we'd be able to see them.

Anyone know the physics of striations of Fluorescent lamps?
If and where the problem is in the circuit, ballast, or lamps?
or how to fix this?

Thanks ahead of time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can't tell you the root cause of the phenomenon, but I can tell you how to fix it: don't use a dimmer with your standard CFLs. They aren't designed for it, it doesn't work well, if at all, and it greatly shortens their lifetime (and isn't great for the dimmer, either). If you must have the ability to dim them, use dimmable CFLs--it will say so on the package.

I would like to provide some information about the phenomenon of striations in fluorescent lamps. Striations are the visible flickers or flashes that can occur in fluorescent lamps, and they are caused by fluctuations in the electrical current passing through the lamp. These fluctuations can be caused by a variety of factors, including circuit issues, ballast malfunction, or even the quality of the lamp itself.

In the case of your compact fluorescent lamps hooked up to a dimmer circuit, it is likely that the striations are a result of the triac chopping up the waveform and creating fluctuations in the current. However, the fact that the striations are occurring at a slower rate than the standard 60Hz suggests that there may be other factors at play.

One possibility is that the dimmer circuit is not compatible with the fluorescent lamps, as these types of lamps require a specific type of dimmer that can handle the high frequency switching of the lamp. Using a dimmer that is not designed for fluorescent lamps can cause issues such as striations and can also shorten the lifespan of the lamp.

Another possibility is that there may be an issue with the ballast, which is responsible for regulating the electrical current in the lamp. A malfunctioning ballast can cause fluctuations in the current and result in striations.

To fix this issue, I would recommend checking the compatibility of the dimmer circuit with the fluorescent lamps and making sure that the dimmer is designed for use with these types of lamps. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace the ballast or the lamps themselves. It is also important to note that using dimmers with fluorescent lamps can reduce the energy efficiency and lifespan of the lamps, so it may be worth considering using a different type of lighting for dimming purposes.

In conclusion, striations in fluorescent lamps can be caused by a variety of factors and it is important to identify the root cause in order to properly address the issue. I hope this information has been helpful and I wish you luck in resolving the striation issue with your lamps.

1. What is fluorescent lamp striation?

Fluorescent lamp striation is the visible banding or streaking pattern that appears in the tube of a fluorescent lamp when it is in operation.

2. What causes fluorescent lamp striation?

Fluorescent lamp striation is caused by a combination of factors, including the type and condition of the lamp, the ballast, and the voltage and frequency of the electrical current. It can also be affected by the ambient temperature and humidity.

3. Is fluorescent lamp striation harmful?

No, fluorescent lamp striation is not harmful. It is a normal occurrence in fluorescent lamps and does not pose any health risks.

4. How can fluorescent lamp striation be reduced?

Fluorescent lamp striation can be reduced by using high-quality lamps and ballasts, ensuring the correct voltage and frequency for the lamp, and maintaining a stable ambient temperature and humidity. Regular cleaning and maintenance of the lamp can also help reduce striation.

5. Can fluorescent lamp striation affect the performance of the lamp?

In most cases, fluorescent lamp striation does not affect the performance of the lamp. However, in some cases, it may cause flickering or uneven lighting, which can impact the overall appearance and functionality of the lamp. It is important to address any severe or persistent striation to ensure optimal performance of the lamp.

Back