Buttons activating by touching a wire

• Thread starter Briant22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the individual has modified a gamepad to create an arcade controller, but is experiencing issues with the left button triggering when the down button is pressed. They have examined the wiring and found that touching the solder joint of the left button while pressing down causes the issue. They have also tried adding more electrical tape, but the problem persists. They suspect it may be due to the controller itself and plan to rewire it. Additionally, they have been advised to use heat-shrink tubing instead of electrical tape and to check for cracks in the circuit board.
Briant22
Hello, so I recently modified a gamepad to make my own arcade controller. However I have run into an issue which I do not quite understand. Sometimes the left button will trigger for no apparent reason when the down button is being pressed.

First of all, each of my wires to each button have a solder joint which is covered with electrical tape. So I examined it and I found that if my hand was near, or touching the solder joint (covered in electrical tape) of the left button while I was holding down, the left button would fire.

What's going on here? And how can I shield it so that it stops?

Thanks
-Brian.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Briant22 said:
[1]What's going on here? [2]And how can I shield it so that it stops?

1) High impedance input maybe.
2) More tape

Thanks for the reply, I read up a bit on high impedance and it sounds like that might be the case.

I tried adding more tape like you suggested though, and I still receive the same problem. It is really odd, it only happens where there is solder joining the two wires. If I touch the electrical tape it will trigger, but if I touch the insulation on any of the wires it won't.

I should probably also mention that the connection goes from a solid wire to a braided wire to a solid wire again (I don't think that should change anything but I figured it would be worth mentioning). Additionally I have a resistor on one wire.

EDIT:
So I decided to cut all the wiring going to the directional buttons, however the problem continues to persist. I can press down on the tangled wires of the other buttons and it will cause the same problem to occur. I have a feeling it is my the controllers problem, so I might just have to replace it.

Last edited:
Hi, Briant.
I tried to respond to this question first thing this morning, but as you can read in GD, my internet connection has been giving me fits for a few days. I started trying to get on line at 8:30 this morning, and just managed to do so an hour ago (8:00 pm).
Anyhow, electrical tape should never be used unless there's no other option. Heat-shrink tubing is far superior, or you can paint the joints with liquid latex, silicone sealant, or potting compound. My best guess is that the physical proximity of your finger to the joint is causing a temporary short to the second pad. I doubt very much that your body capacitance would be sufficient to cause such a malfunction. Also, make sure that there are no cracks in the circuit board, since those can also lead to shorts.

Thanks for the tip, ill be sure to keep this in mind when I rewire it.

What is the purpose of buttons activating by touching a wire?

The purpose of buttons activating by touching a wire is to create a simple and convenient way for users to interact with electronic devices or machines. This technology allows users to activate certain functions or operations by simply touching a wire, eliminating the need for complex controls or buttons.

How do buttons activate by touching a wire work?

Buttons activating by touching a wire work through the use of capacitive touch sensing. When a person touches the wire, their body acts as a conductor and changes the capacitance of the wire. This change in capacitance is detected by the circuit and triggers the button to activate.

What are the benefits of buttons activating by touching a wire?

There are several benefits to using buttons that activate by touching a wire. They are more convenient and user-friendly compared to traditional buttons or switches. They also offer a more streamlined and sleek design, as they can be integrated seamlessly into the surface of a device or machine. Additionally, they eliminate the risk of mechanical failure or wear and tear.

What are some common applications of buttons activating by touching a wire?

Buttons activating by touching a wire have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in consumer electronics, such as smartphones and tablets, to control functions like volume or screen brightness. They are also used in industrial settings, such as control panels for machines, and in automotive vehicles for functions like opening car doors or starting the engine.

Are there any drawbacks to buttons activating by touching a wire?

While buttons activating by touching a wire have many benefits, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider. They may not be as responsive as traditional buttons, and they can be affected by external factors like moisture or dirt on the wire. Additionally, they may not be suitable for applications where precision or accuracy is crucial.