Parallel plate capacitor electric field problem

In summary, the parallel-plate capacitor has a spacing of 0.50 mm and transferring 1.8*10^9 electrons between the disks results in an electric field strength of 1.3*10^5 N/C. To find the diameters of the disks, we can use the equation Q=ε0*A*E and solve for A. Once we have A, we can find the diameter by using the formula for the area of a circle, A=π*r^2.
megr_ftw

Homework Statement

Two circular disks spaced 0.50 mm apart form a parallel-plate capacitor. Transferring 1.8*10^9 electrons from one disk to the other causes the electric field strength to be 1.3* 10^5 N/C. What are the diameters of the disks?

Homework Equations

F=k(q1)(q2)/r^2
E_capacitor= Q/(epsilon_0)*A

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your second equation. What can you find from it?

I'm doing the same problem.

All I can find from the second equation is that Q = Epsilon * A * E

Which doesn't really help because even if I break down A into pi * r^2 I still don't know r.. because if I knew r I would know d, which is what we're looking for.

I don't get how that helps.

Well I have another equation I was solving for earlier.

r = sqrt(Q/pi*eta)

I suppose I could substitute that into the equation set equal to Q and solve for Q.

Then maybe I could plug that Q from Q=Epsilon*A*E into the r = sqrt(Q/pi*eta) equation to find r.

Hmm. I can't stand this because of the precision required for these stupid online assignments, I get zero credit or full credit, none in between. Rewarded none for the effort I've put forth the same as someone who did nothing.

Oh well, computers give grades.

And now I end up with

Q=(Epsilon*E*Q) / eta

that makes no sense because if I go any further the Q's will cancel out *sigh*.. so I know I did something wrong.

Back to the drawing board.

Look at your second equation.

You know Q, you know ε0 and you know E. Can you find A? Once you know A can you find the diameter?

Last edited:
What is Q?

N electrons * Charge of electron?

I'm going back and re-reading the entire chapter leading up to this one in cased I missed something.

I'm completely lost when it comes to electricity and that's not like me.

thanks for the help. now if only webassign would stop lagging all the time and I could see if my answer is correct or not...

myxomatosii said:
What is Q?

N electrons * Charge of electron?

I'm going back and re-reading the entire chapter leading up to this one in cased I missed something.

I'm completely lost when it comes to electricity and that's not like me.

Yes, Q is the total charge of the N electrons.

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device that stores electric energy by accumulating opposite charges on two parallel conducting plates separated by a small distance. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to store and release electrical energy.

2. How do you calculate the electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor?

The electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the electric field strength in a parallel plate capacitor?

The electric field strength in a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. Increasing the distance or decreasing the surface area will result in a weaker electric field, while a higher dielectric constant will result in a stronger electric field.

4. How does the electric field change when a dielectric material is inserted between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor?

When a dielectric material is inserted between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor, the electric field decreases due to the polarizing effect of the dielectric material. This results in an increase in the capacitance of the capacitor.

5. Can the electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor be uniform?

In theory, the electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor can be uniform if the plates are infinitely large and the distance between them is infinitely small. However, in practical applications, the electric field is not completely uniform due to edge effects and imperfections in the plates and dielectric material.