High school through Undergrad Math Outline

In summary, the conversation discusses the math courses necessary for a BS in physics and whether geometry is required for college level physics. It is recommended to have knowledge of intermediate algebra, trigonometry, and pre-calculus before taking Calculus I. It is also important to review Calculus I as it is the foundation for subsequent calculus and differential equations courses. Some universities may also require linear algebra. While geometry may not be required, it is still beneficial to review. However, opinions differ on whether vector calculus and Fourier analysis are necessary for a BS in physics, with some arguing that they are essential for understanding electrodynamics and basic quantum mechanics.
yellow5
Hi, first time poster. I apologize if this topic has been done over and over, but I couldn't find an answer that suited my needs.

So anyway, I've decided to return to college at age 30. I originally went for CompSci and dropped out to cash in on the dot com craze. That went well until a series of unfortunate events that have left me where I am today, broke with nothing to show for it, lol.

I want to study physics. How far, well I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, but I can see myself perhaps working towards a masters as I want at least a cursory knowledge in the advanced stuff.

For all the programming I've done since college, I haven't used any math more advanced than maybe pre-algebra. I did finish Calculus I in college, but I'd really like to review it again to be sure I've not forgotten anything. In high school I took Algebra 1+2, Geometry, and the semester each of trig and precalc my senior year.

I want to of course review all of these before going back to school, and review college algebra and calculus to decide if I need to take them once more. One question I cannot figure out, is geometry necessary to start getting my feet wet in college level physics? I have two nieces that are in different high schools in the area, neither college prep track they are taking includes geometry, but does include trig and precalc.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but what other mathematics beyond college algebra and calculus would one need to take for a BS in physics? I realize that may be best left to an academic adviser, but I haven't even enrolled yet, and I'm quite impatient :P

Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
yellow5 said:
One question I cannot figure out, is geometry necessary to start getting my feet wet in college level physics?

Yes, you will need some simple analytic geometry for college level physics. Things like cartesian coordinates; representing circles, lines, planes etc by algebraic equations and so on.

yellow5 said:
I may be getting ahead of myself, but what other mathematics beyond college algebra and calculus would one need to take for a BS in physics?

You will need to have some familiarity with linear algebra, vector calculus, differential equations, Fourier analysis, and maybe tensor analysis if you get to general relativity.

Apart from Calculus I (limits and derivatives) you are required to do at least Calculus II (integrals), Calculus III (multivariable), and an Introductory cource in Differential Equations (Ordinary Differential Equation course). Some universities might require you to do Linear Algebra as well.

You do NOT need to take vector calculus, fourtie analysis, tensor analysis for BS in physics. If you want a better understanding you can take it but it's not required.

It is very important that you know your Calculus I stuff (at least cover limit and derivatives on your own) as all the following Calculus and Differential Equations courses will depend on it.is geometry important? Sure, where isn't? It's good if you review some basic stuff again but don't kill yourself over it. You'll be doing some geometry type stuff (i don't know how exactly to put it) in Calculus III. It will be of great importance in Physics.

rubrix said:
You do NOT need to take vector calculus, fourtie analysis, tensor analysis for BS in physics.

Yes, you DO need to take vector calculus and Fourier analysis. These are very very very basic things, especially vector calculus. A person who doesn't know vector calculus also doesn't know electrodynamics, and anyone who doesn't know electrodynamics does not deserve a BSc in physics. A person who doesn't know Fourier analysis also doesn't understand basic quantum mechanics, and anyone who doesn't know basic quantum mechanics does not deserve a BSc in physics.

Last edited:
I want to of course review all of these before going back to school, and review college algebra and calculus to decide if I need to take them once more. One question I cannot figure out, is geometry necessary to start getting my feet wet in college level physics? I have two nieces that are in different high schools in the area, neither college prep track they are taking includes geometry, but does include trig and precalc.
You can very well skip the remedial Geometry course, but studying it is still very good for you. You can start your review with Intermediate Algebra and then to Trigonometry; then you should be ready for Calculus 1 if the school let's you; otherwise you may need Pre-Calculus.

dx said:
Yes, you DO need to take vector calculus and Fourier analysis. These are very very very basic things, especially vector calculus. A person who doesn't know vector calculus also doesn't know electrodynamics, and anyone who doesn't know electrodynamics does not deserve a BSc in physics. A person who doesn't know Fourier analysis also doesn't understand basic quantum mechanics, and anyone who doesn't know basic quantum mechanics does not deserve a BSc in physics.
Well said, I absolutely agree with this.

dx said:

NO YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO TAKE THOSE COURSES FOR UNDERGRAD PHYSICS.

I have checked math requirement for multiple universities here and they do not require vector calculus at all.

I think even Physics department @ MIT closes off with Differential Equations and two more math courses (Linear Algebra and Complex Variables being the recommended one).edit: "<snip>...does not deserve a BSc in physics"

who are you to say one does not deserve a BS in Physics? If someone completes the requirement, they well damn deserve it. He asked about the mathematics requirement, not about what you think is required, totally different things.

Last edited:
rubrix said:

I have checked math requirement for multiple universities here and they do not require vector calculus at all.

I think even Physics department @ MIT closes off with Differential Equations and two more math courses (Linear Algebra and Complex Variables being the recommended one).

edit: "<snip>...does not deserve a BSc in physics"

who are you to say one does not deserve a BS in Physics? If someone completes the requirement, they well damn deserve it. He asked about the mathematics requirement, not about what you think is required, totally different things.
Hey rubrix, no offense but... vector calculus is a must to understand Maxwell's equations.
I don't see how can one go on for a Phd without having touched Maxwell's equations.

Thanks for the insight everyone,

I should clarify I suppose. I'm interested in the requirements that will help give me as deep an understanding of undergrad physics as possible, as I may decide to go on to the graduate level. The only corner I'm trying to cut at this point is whether or not to do an in depth review of high school geometry, as I recall it being easy and slightly boring. I might as well do so I guess.

Other than that small obstacle, I don't intend to shy away from any math. I dislike not being a humble person, but I was quite good at every math course I ever took. I'm simply concerned as I haven't kept my skills up over the years.

Thanks again

rubrix said:

I think even Physics department @ MIT closes off with Differential Equations and two more math courses (Linear Algebra and Complex Variables being the recommended one).

Vector Calculus is taught in Calculus III, and Fourier Analysis/Tensor Analysis is usually taught in a "mathematics methods for physicists" or in the physics course (where it is needed) itself.

So you can't say it's "not needed" just because the degree doesn't require the student to take the actual "math class" itself. It is pretty much embedded in some kind of physics/math methods course.

thrill3rnit3 said:
It is pretty much embedded in some kind of physics/math methods course.

The horror! Would you want to learn Botany from cabnet maker?

lurflurf said:
The horror! Would you want to learn Botany from cabnet maker?

yeah because physics and math are soo unrelated as botany and cabinet making :rolleyes:

The math needed in physics courses is usually taught in the physics class itself (at least here in the U.S.). If you want you can always get a book and self study it.

thrill3rnit3 said:
Vector Calculus is taught in Calculus III, and Fourier Analysis/Tensor Analysis is usually taught in a "mathematics methods for physicists" or in the physics course (where it is needed) itself.

So you can't say it's "not needed" just because the degree doesn't require the student to take the actual "math class" itself. It is pretty much embedded in some kind of physics/math methods course.

that makes sense.

I saw "Vector Calculus" course somewhere which meant something else than Calc III. I believe they were referring to a sequence course of Calc III.

If i remember correctly Fourier comes up with DE or (or perhaps in one of the calc course) course too.i guess we had a misunderstanding since he was talking about particular topics in mathematics and i was talking about particular courses. See he was listed courses first "linear algebra, vector calculus, differential equations" and then listed topics "...fourier analysis, and maybe tensor analysis" consequently. I took all of them as course titles. My apologies.

yellow5 said:
I'm interested in the requirements that will help give me as deep an understanding of undergrad physics as possible

Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, ODE, and perhaps (Applied) Linear Algebra and (Applied) Complex Analysis and you are set.

Last edited:

1. What is covered in a "High school through Undergrad Math Outline"?

The "High school through Undergrad Math Outline" typically covers a wide range of mathematical concepts and topics, starting from basic algebra and geometry in high school and progressing to more advanced topics such as calculus, linear algebra, and statistics in undergrad. Other topics may include trigonometry, number theory, and discrete mathematics.

2. Why is it important to have a math outline for high school through undergrad?

A math outline serves as a roadmap for students to follow throughout their mathematical education. It helps to ensure that students are exposed to all the necessary topics and concepts in a logical and organized manner. It also allows students to track their progress and identify any areas where they may need additional practice or support.

3. Are there any specific courses or textbooks that align with this math outline?

While the specifics may vary depending on the institution, most high schools and universities have their own set of required math courses that align with the "High school through Undergrad Math Outline." Some commonly used textbooks for these courses include "Algebra 1" by Larson and Boswell, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang.

4. Can a student with a weak math background still follow the outline and succeed?

While a strong foundation in math is certainly helpful, the outline is designed to accommodate students with varying levels of math proficiency. It is important for students to seek help and practice regularly in order to catch up on any weak areas, but with dedication and hard work, anyone can succeed in following the outline and mastering the necessary math concepts.

5. Is it necessary to follow this outline strictly, or can students deviate from it?

The outline serves as a general guideline for students to follow, but it is not set in stone. Depending on the student's interests and career goals, they may choose to deviate from the outline and take additional or alternative math courses. It is important for students to consult with their academic advisors to ensure that any deviations still fulfill their degree requirements.