Fragment from worlds oldest Bible found hidden in Egyptian monastery

• Thread starter TKAZ
  • Start date
In summary, a British-based academic has discovered a previously unseen section of the world's oldest Bible, the Codex Sinaiticus, which dates back to AD350. This fragment was found hidden underneath the binding of an 18th-century book in the library of St Catherine's Monastery in Egypt. This discovery was made by Nikolas Sarris while he was examining photographs of manuscripts, and it has been reported by the Independent.
TKAZ
A British-based academic has uncovered a fragment of the world's oldest Bible hiding underneath the binding of an 18th-century book.
Nikolas Sarris spotted a previously unseen section of the Codex Sinaiticus, which dates from about AD350, as he was trawling through photographs of manuscripts in the library of St Catherine's Monastery in Egypt...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...und-hidden-in-egyptian-monastery-1780274.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My first question is: did you write this? And, if so, at the very least, where are your citations?

Second: what are we being invited to be skeptical about or debunking with this?

No I didn't write this, I found it on the net and thought it was very interesting and wanted to share. I will in the future start an article with whom the writer was. sorry.

Can you post links to the original article? thanks.

TKAZ said:
No I didn't write this, I found it on the net and thought it was very interesting and wanted to share. I will in the future start an article with whom the writer was. sorry.

In the future, please read the posting guidelines before posting. You have violated copyright law, the S&D forum guidelines, and the PF general guidelines.

In addition to providing a link, the original post was edited to provide only an excerpt, as required by law.

You will only get one warning.

Last edited:

1. Who discovered the fragment from the world's oldest Bible?

The fragment was discovered by a team of researchers from the University of Michigan, led by biblical scholar Geoffrey Smith, during a visit to the Monastery of St. Catherine in Sinai, Egypt.

2. How old is the fragment?

The fragment is estimated to be around 1,500 years old, making it the oldest known copy of the Bible to date.

3. What is the significance of this discovery?

This discovery is significant because it provides new insights into the early history and development of the Bible. It also confirms the accuracy and preservation of the biblical texts over time.

4. What is the content of the fragment?

The fragment contains portions of the Book of Deuteronomy, including the Ten Commandments, and is written in Greek. It is believed to be part of a larger manuscript that included the entire Old and New Testaments.

5. How was the fragment preserved for so long?

The dry climate of the Sinai desert and the careful preservation by the monks of the Monastery of St. Catherine contributed to the fragment's longevity. It was also found in a jar covered in leather, which helped protect it from the elements.

Back