Relation between magnus effect, speed and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Magnus force and acceleration of a spinning object, particularly in the context of simulating a corner in soccer. The concept of rotational velocity and its impact on the Magnus effect is also mentioned, along with the role of dimples on a golf ball in reducing the Magnus force. It is also mentioned that the Wikipedia article on the Magnus effect only considers the lift force on a round object, while another source suggests that detachment of flow may be the main cause of the effect.
hkhalil
Hi,

Is it right to assume that, since F = ma, that the magnus force has an impact on the acceleration of the spinning object, which in turn leads to a change in its velocity?

I need to program an application that simulates a corner in soccer. This involves calculating the viscous and Magnus forces applied to the ball. I am just trying to find the relation between these two forces and the acceleration of the ball.

Is it right to sum the viscous friction and the magnus force, as well as the gravitational force, and divide everything by the mass in order to find the acceleration at a time T ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hkhalil said:
Hi,

Is it right to assume that, since F = ma, that the magnus force has an impact on the acceleration of the spinning object, which in turn leads to a change in its velocity?

Yes, remembering that velocity is direction as well as speed. Also remember that there's a translational velocity as well as a rotational velocity. I always thought of the magnus effect in terms of a golf ball. All the little dimples on the golf ball "grab" the air (because of the ball's rotational motion) and "pulls" the ball.

In reality, there's a lot more turbulent effects that I don't understand going on around the ball that lie in the domain of fluid dynamics.

Is it right to sum the viscous friction and the magnus force, as well as the gravitational force, and divide everything by the mass in order to find the acceleration at a time T ?

Well, as with any body, you have to break the forces up into their component forces. When I did this code, we only considered the lift of the magnus force, which would sum with gravity, we didn't consider "hooking" or "slicing" of the ball. But yes, the mass still acts as resistance to the force.

Also, when I did the code, rotational velocity was constant. In reality, I'd assume the magnus force slows down the rotational velocity of the ball as it gains lift (Newton's 3rd).

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect" only considers the lift force on a round object.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pythagorean said:
All the little dimples on the golf ball "grab" the air
The dimples create a localized turbulence which helps the flow remain attached better and reduced the magnus force.

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect" only considers the lift force on a round object.
This article does a better job of explaining detatchment of flow as the most likely cause of Magnus effect:

http://www.geocities.com/k_achutarao/MAGNUS/magnus.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Reid said:
The dimples create a localized turbulence which helps the flow remain attached better and reduced the magnus force.

Interesting... that means that a smooth ball feels more magnus force than a dimpled ball? (assuming same mass, and cross-sectional area)

I'd always assumed that the golf balls were intentionally manufactured to take advantage of the magnus effect.

Thank you for your answers

1. What is the Magnus effect?

The Magnus effect is a phenomenon that occurs when a spinning object experiences a lift force perpendicular to the direction of motion. This force is caused by a difference in air pressure on opposite sides of the spinning object.

2. How does the Magnus effect impact the speed of an object?

The Magnus effect can either increase or decrease the speed of an object, depending on the direction of the spin. If the spin is in the same direction as the motion, it can increase the speed by creating a lower pressure area in front of the object. If the spin is opposite to the motion, it can decrease the speed by creating a higher pressure area in front of the object.

3. What is the relationship between the Magnus effect and acceleration?

The Magnus effect does not directly impact acceleration, but it can indirectly affect it by changing the speed of the object. If the Magnus effect increases the speed, it can also increase the acceleration. If it decreases the speed, it can decrease the acceleration.

4. How does the shape of an object impact the Magnus effect?

The shape of an object can greatly impact the Magnus effect. Objects with a smooth, streamlined shape are more likely to experience a greater Magnus force compared to objects with a rough or irregular shape. This is because a streamlined shape creates a more significant difference in air pressure on opposite sides of the object.

5. Can the Magnus effect be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the Magnus effect can be controlled and manipulated by changing the spin of the object, the speed at which it is moving, and the shape of the object. This is why the Magnus effect is often utilized in sports such as baseball, tennis, and golf to control the trajectory of the ball.