Acceleration / Torque Problem

In summary, a thin uniform rod with a length of 2.40 m and weight of 135 N, hinged at the bottom, starts out vertically resting on a wall and falls, rotating 55 degrees. The acceleration of the end farthest from the hinge can be found by calculating the torque using the weight of the rod acting on its center of mass and dividing it by the moment of inertia.
PherricOxide

Homework Statement

A very thin uniform rod, 2.40 m long and of weight 135 N, has a frictionless hinge at its lower end. It starts out vertically from resting on a wall and falls, pivoting about the hinge. Just as it has rotated through an angle of 55 degrees, the acceleration of the end farthest from the hinge is what?

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau = I[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\tau[/tex] = R X F = |R| |F| sin(angle between)

I for thin rod,
I = (1/3)MR2

The Attempt at a Solution

To find R X F I tried to find the angle between the force of gravity and the pivot. If you place both vectors at the pivot, R will be 35 degrees above the horizontal (after falling 55 degrees), and gravity will be directly down, so I believe the angle between them is 90+35 = 125 degrees? This is one thing I'm not entirely sure about.

[tex]\tau[/tex] = 2.4M * 135N * sin(125)

Then finding I,
I = (1/3)(135N/9.8)*2.42

And then doing T/I to find the angular acceleration,
(135N * sin(125)) / ( (1/3)(135N/9.8)*2.4) ~= 9.69

Finally, multiply that by the radius of 2.4M to get the linear acceleration. This didn't give me right answer though.

Physics news on Phys.org
The interior angle between the force and rod is not correct. Draw a sketch and use some geometry. Also, where along the length of the rod should you apply the weight force acting on the rod?

Weight acts at the center of the rod.
So the torque = F*R/2*sinθ

I think the angle is actually correct, I just didn't know the weight acted on the center of mass.

Torque = 135N * 1.2M * sin(125)

Dividing that by the moment of inertia and them multiplying by the radius gave me the correct answer.

Attachments

• torque_problem.jpg
    torque_problem.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,381
PherricOxide said:
I think the angle is actually correct, I just didn't know the weight acted on the center of mass.

Torque = 135N * 1.2M * sin(125)

Dividing that by the moment of inertia and them multiplying by the radius gave me the correct answer.
To be technically and graphically correct in calculating the torque of the weight force about the pivot, it's T=r X F = 1.2*135*sin(55) clockwise, where r is the position vector from the cm to the pivot, F is the weight vector applied at the cm, and theta is the angle between the position vector and the force vector at the point of application of the force. You get the same answer, but be careful in drawing the sketch. The weight acts down at the cm, not at the pivot. Or its T= (perpendicuar distance from the pivot to the line of action of the force) *(force) = 1.2*sin(55)*135, clockwise, again, same result.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, it is how quickly the speed of an object is changing.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning force on an object, such as a wheel or lever. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

How are acceleration and torque related?

Acceleration and torque are related through Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Torque, being a type of force, can therefore affect the acceleration of an object.

What is the difference between linear and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the change in speed of an object along a straight line, while angular acceleration is the change in the rotational speed of an object around an axis. In other words, linear acceleration involves movement in a straight line, while angular acceleration involves rotational movement.

How can acceleration and torque be used in practical applications?

Acceleration and torque are fundamental concepts in physics and have many practical applications. For example, they are used in designing and analyzing the performance of vehicles such as cars, airplanes, and rockets. In engineering, they are used to design and optimize machines and structures. In sports, they are used to improve techniques and equipment. And in everyday life, they are used in tasks such as lifting objects, riding a bike, or throwing a ball.