Solve Rate Law Problem: H2SO4 + C6H6 → C6H5SO3H + H2O

• Thread starter Precursor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Rate
In summary, the rate law for the reaction between H2SO4 and C6H6 is determined experimentally and is written as: Rate = k[H2SO4][C6H6]. The order of the reaction is determined by the exponents in the rate law, and in this case, the reaction is considered to be first order with respect to both reactants. The overall reaction order is 2, and the rate constant (k) can be calculated by plugging in the experimental values for the rate and concentrations of the reactants in the rate law equation. If the concentration of H2SO4 is doubled, the rate of the reaction will also double, as the rate is directly proportional to the concentration of H2
Precursor

Homework Statement

Sulfonation of benzene has the following mechanism:
(1) [tex]2H_{2}SO_{4} \rightarrow H_{3}O^{+} + HSO_{4}^{-} + SO_{3} [/tex] [fast]
(2) [tex]SO_{3} + C_{6}H_{6} \rightarrow H(C_{6}H_{5}^{+})SO_{3}^{-}[/tex] [slow]
(3) [tex] H(C_{6}H_{5}^{+})SO_{3}^{-} + HSO_{4}^{-} \rightarrow C_{6}H_{5}SO_{3}^{-} + H_{2}SO_{4}[/tex] [fast]
(4) [tex] C_{6}H_{5}SO_{3}^{-} + H_{3}O^{+} \rightarrow C_{6}H_{5}SO_{3}H + H_{2}O[/tex] [fast]

Write the overall rate law for the initial rate of reaction.

Homework Equations

[tex]Rate = k[A]^{m}^{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the overall rate of reaction to be: [tex]H_{2}SO_{4} + C_{6}H_{6} \rightarrow C_{6}H_{5}SO_{3}H + H_{2}O[/tex]

For the rate determining step I got [tex]Rate = k[SO_{3}][C_{6}H_{6}][/tex]

However, I don't really know where to move on from here. I tried to substitute in [tex]H_{2}SO_{4}[/tex] so that I it can correspond to the overall equation for the reaction, but it didn't work out.

I do know that the answer is: [tex]Rate = k[H_{2}SO_{4}]^{2}[C_{6}H_{6}][/tex]

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It looks like you're on the right track. The overall rate law for this reaction can be determined by considering the slowest step, which in this case is the second step. This step involves both SO3 and C6H6, so the rate law would be rate = k[SO3][C6H6]. However, since the first step produces SO3, we can substitute in the rate of the first step for [SO3], giving us rate = k(H2SO4)^2[C6H6]. This makes sense because the first step is fast and reversible, so the concentration of SO3 will be proportional to the concentration of H2SO4 squared. I hope this helps!

Thank you.

I would suggest starting by writing out the rate law for each step of the mechanism. Then, using the rate-determining step (the slowest step) as a basis, write out the overall rate law by substituting in the concentrations of the reactants and products from the other steps.

In this case, the rate-determining step is step 2, which involves the reactants SO3 and C6H6. So the rate law for this step would be Rate = k[SO3][C6H6].

Now, looking at the other steps, we can see that step 1 and step 3 both involve the reactant H2SO4, and step 4 involves the product C6H5SO3H. We can use these to substitute into the rate law for step 2.

Starting with step 1, we know that the concentration of H2SO4 is equal to the concentration of H3O+ because the reaction is a strong acid. So we can substitute [H2SO4] for [H3O+] in the rate law for step 2.

Next, looking at step 3, we can see that the concentration of H2SO4 is equal to the concentration of HSO4^- because the reaction is a strong acid. So we can substitute [H2SO4] for [HSO4^-] in the rate law for step 2.

Finally, looking at step 4, we can see that the concentration of C6H5SO3H is equal to the concentration of C6H5SO3^- because the reaction is also a strong acid. So we can substitute [C6H5SO3^-] for [C6H5SO3H] in the rate law for step 2.

Putting all of this together, we get the overall rate law: Rate = k[H2SO4]^2[C6H6] as shown in the given answer.

1. What is the rate law for the reaction between H2SO4 and C6H6?

The rate law for this reaction is determined experimentally and is written as: Rate = k[H2SO4][C6H6]. This means that the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentrations of both H2SO4 and C6H6.

2. How do you determine the order of the reaction?

The order of the reaction is determined by the exponents in the rate law. In this case, since the exponents for both H2SO4 and C6H6 are 1, the reaction is considered to be first order with respect to both reactants.

3. What is the overall reaction order?

The overall reaction order is the sum of all the individual orders. In this case, since both the orders are 1, the overall reaction order is 1+1=2.

4. How do you calculate the rate constant (k) for this reaction?

The rate constant (k) can be calculated by plugging in the experimental values for the rate and concentrations of the reactants in the rate law equation. The units for k will depend on the overall reaction order.

5. How would the rate of the reaction be affected if the concentration of H2SO4 is doubled?

If the concentration of H2SO4 is doubled, the rate of the reaction will also double. This is because the rate is directly proportional to the concentration of H2SO4 according to the rate law.