How Does Coulomb's Law Determine the Force Between Charges on Different Axes?

In summary, two positive point charges (q_1 and q_2) are placed on the y-axis at a and -a. A negative point charge (-Q) is located at some point x on the +x-axis. Find the x-component of the net force that the two positive charges exert on -Q. Express your answer in terms of the variables q, Q, x, and a, with any necessary constants.
electroguy02

Homework Statement

Two positive point charges q are placed on the y-axis at a and -a. A negative point charge -Q is located at some point x on the +x-axis.

Find the x-component of the net force that the two positive charges exert on -Q.

Express your answer in terms of the variables q, Q, x, and a, with any necessary constants.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law:

F = kq_1q_2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The upper particle on the y-axis is q_1, the lower particle on the y-axis is q_2, and the particle on the x-axis is q_3.

q_1 and q_2 have the same "pull" on q_3, so the vertical y-components of the force cancels out. Also, the force due to q_1 on q_3 is equal to the pull that q_2 has on q_3. The force on q_3 is equal to:

F_q_3 = F_13 + F_23

F_13 = kq_1q_3/r^2

k = 8.99 * 10^9
q_1 = q
q_3 = -Q
r^2 = a^2 + x^2 (pythagorean thereom to find the distance from q_1 to q_3)

The magnitude of the force F_13 (particle one on particle three) is:

F_13 = (8.99 * 10^9)(q)(-Q)/(a^2 + x^2)

The x-component of this force is

F_13x = (8.99 * 10^9)(q)(-Q)/(a^2 + x^2) * x/(sqrt(x^2 + a^2))

Since F_q_3 = F_13 + F_23, and F_13 = F_23,

F_q_3x = 2[(8.99 * 10^9)(q)(-Q)/(a^2 + x^2) * x/(sqrt(x^2 + a^2))]

This is also what my teacher got for this problem, but it's incorrect. Can somebody please help me point out what the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

ADD: I've also tried:

F_q_3x = 2[(8.99 * 10^9)(q)(Q)/(a^2 + x^2) * x/(sqrt(x^2 + a^2))]
F_q_3x = 2[(q)(Q)/(a^2 + x^2) * x/(sqrt(x^2 + a^2))]
F_q_3x = 2[(q)(Q)x/(a^2 + x^2)^(3/2)]

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand.

Since I'm looking for the x-component of the force, I'd need the force directed along the x-axis, right? If the "height" of the triangle of one force is a, and the "base" is x, then the hypotenuse of the triangle would be sqrt(a^2 + x^2), right?

Why would I need the vertical a value to solve for the x-component, especially when the vertical components cancel out?

electroguy02 said:
I don't understand.

Since I'm looking for the x-component of the force, I'd need the force directed along the x-axis, right? If the "height" of the triangle of one force is a, and the "base" is x, then the hypotenuse of the triangle would be sqrt(a^2 + x^2), right?

Why would I need the vertical a value to solve for the x-component, especially when the vertical components cancel out?
Yes. You are right. Your answer is correct. Probably you have to include the sign, because the force in pointing towards the -ve x axis.

Argh... I figured out what I did "wrong" in the end.

I put that k = 8.99 * 10^9, so instead of writing down k, I wrote down the numerical value. And the system kept telling me that it was wrong. So the answer was:

F_q_3x = 2[(k)(q)(-Q)/(a^2 + x^2) * x/(sqrt(x^2 + a^2))]

That's incredibly maddening.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. Now I'll need to ask my teacher to excuse the "mistake" that I made...

1. What is a charge?

A charge is a physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It can be either positive or negative, and is measured in Coulombs (C).

2. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two point charges. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How is Coulomb's Law used in real life?

Coulomb's Law is used in many practical applications, such as determining the force between two charged particles in an atom, calculating the strength of electric fields in electronic devices, and understanding the behavior of lightning and other electrical phenomena.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to non-point charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to non-point charges by using the principle of superposition. This states that the total force on a charge due to multiple charges is equal to the vector sum of the individual forces exerted by each charge.

5. How does distance affect the force between two charges?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charges increases, the force between them decreases. It follows an inverse square law, which means that doubling the distance will result in a four-fold decrease in the force.