Solving 2D Heat Conductivity Problem - Where to Start?

In summary, solving a 2D heat conductivity problem involves identifying the boundary conditions, setting up the governing equations, and solving them using numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element analysis. It is important to also consider the material properties and any external heat sources in order to accurately model the heat transfer. The process of solving a 2D heat conductivity problem can be complex, but starting with a clear understanding of the problem and the proper equations and techniques can lead to an accurate and efficient solution.
dinaharchery
Please Help,

I am not an mechanical engineer but am trying to learn Finite Element Methods to solve a 2D Steady State Heat Conductivity problem.

Can anyone point me to an exact solution to the 2D Heat conductivity problem? Please be gentle, I have not had a physics class since 8th grade although I have taken calculus. My idea is to solve a specific 2D model analytically and then compare this exact solution to a solution that I will generate using FEM approximation equation.

Thanks.:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Given your limited background, I would highly suggest going through a 1D problem. If that it something you are interested in, I would be happy to help. Let me know. :smile:

There is no single solution to the steady-state heat equation (which, for uniform thermal conductivity and no heat generation, is just Laplace's equation [itex]\nabla^2T=0[/itex]). Various boundary conditions will result in different solutions.

As Saladsamurai suggested, 1D is a good way to get your feet wet. The equation is identical, but the solution is always a line (or, if heat generation exists, a parabola).

Thanks for the reply's.

I took your suggestions and did the 1D Heat Conduction problem. I finished it and it looks correct. Of course there is a lot of information on the web on the 1D problem, but the 2D is another issue.:confused:

I was thinking about this a little bit more, and I think the first nontrivial 2D configuration to try would be a square; hold two adjacent sides at a temperature gradient from 0 to 0.5 (i.e., each side goes linearly from 0 at the common corner to 0.5 at the ends) and the other two sides held from 0.5 to 1 (so that the corner opposite from 0 is held at 1). Then you can verify that one diagonal is a uniform 0.5 and the other is a linear gradient from 0 to 1. The temperature profile is simply T(x,y) = x + y, which can be verified to solve Laplace's equation. Know what I mean?

Thank you.

I think I understand what you are saying - the temperature profile T(x, y) = x + y is "plugged-into" the Laplace equation and solved? To solve the Laplace equation I will need to take the second order partial derivatives of T(x, y)?

Is this correct?

dinaharchery said:
Thank you.

I think I understand what you are saying - the temperature profile T(x, y) = x + y is "plugged-into" the Laplace equation and solved? To solve the Laplace equation I will need to take the second order partial derivatives of T(x, y)?

Is this correct?

Yes, exactly. And the solution also needs to solve all the boundary conditions: [itex]T(x,0)[/itex], [itex]T(x,L)[/itex], [itex]T(0,y)[/itex], and [itex]T(L,y)[/itex] if the temperatures are specified at the edges, [itex]\partial T(x,0)/\partial y[/itex] and so on if the heat fluxes are specified at the edges, a combination of these, or conditions set within the domain. That's why no single, simple solution exists.

Cool, I am glad I understood something.

The 2D model that I am trying to solve consists of the a square structure with the temperature T(0) = 1000 and T(L) = 100 where L = 100. I think this should be relatively simple but I am a bit rusty on differential equations.

Thank you again.

If the sides aren't constrained and there's negligible convection in the third dimension and no heat generation, this is a 1D problem: [itex]T(x,y)=100x/L[/itex].

EDIT: Nope, please see below.

Last edited:
Sorry but I should have specified the boundaries better.

Temperature at Node 1 (x=0, y=0) is 1000, Temperature at Node 4 (x=0, y=100) is 1000, Temperature at Node 2 (x=100, y=0) is 100, Temperature at Node 3 (x=100, y=100) is 100.

Does this make any difference?

Also can you please show me how you arrived at the equation T(x, y) = 100x/L?

Thank you for all your help.:smile:

Whoops, I must have looked at your earlier post too fast; make that [itex]T(x,y)=9(100-x)+100[/itex]. Does that make more sense?

Whoops, I must have looked at your earlier post too fast; make that T(x,y)=9(100-x)+100. Does that make more sense?

The results make more sense, thank you:smile:. I just seems strange that the y coordinates have no influence on the final temperature at a given node.

Can you provide any links to explain this kind of equation? I am really trying to learn this stuff.

Have you googled "Laplace's equation"? That's where I'd start.

Thanks Mapes.

You have been very helpful, I really appreciate it.

Any time!

Mapes,

Once again, thank you. I derived the linear equation from the original T(x, y) = x + y and got T(x, y) = -9(100 - x) + 1000. This equation gives the same results as the equation you derived but I must have arrived at it in a different fashion.

Please excuse my ignorance with Laplace equations:confused:, but as I said I am trying to learn. Can you please give me the details at how you arrived at your equation?

Thank you.

Actually, I just did it by inspection. I knew y wouldn't appear, as there was nothing in the boundary conditions to cause heat flux in the y direction. (Any temperature change in a certain direction implies heat transfer in that direction; that's the physical interpretation of the conduction equation.) Then I just played around until I had the equation for a line with [itex]T(x=0)=1000[/itex] and [itex]T(x=100)=100[/itex].

But to do it systematically, you'd integrate Laplace's equation in 1D, [itex]\nabla^2 T=d^2T/dx^2=0[/itex], to get [itex]T(x)=C_1x+C_2[/itex], then find [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] by plugging in the boundary conditions. If this is what you did, you're in great shape.

Mapes,

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I just wanted to be sure I was correct.

Again, a million thanks for all your help.

You're welcome!

1. What is the 2D heat conductivity problem?

The 2D heat conductivity problem is a mathematical model used to study the transfer of heat within a two-dimensional object. It involves solving the heat equation, which describes how temperature changes over time in a given object.

2. Why is it important to solve the 2D heat conductivity problem?

Solving the 2D heat conductivity problem allows scientists and engineers to understand and predict how heat will be transferred within a particular object. This information is crucial in designing efficient heating and cooling systems, as well as in studying natural phenomena such as weather patterns and ocean currents.

3. What are the key steps involved in solving the 2D heat conductivity problem?

The first step is to define the boundary conditions and initial conditions of the problem. This includes specifying the temperature at different points on the object's surface and at the beginning of the simulation. Next, the heat equation is solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. The results are then analyzed and compared to experimental data to validate the model.

4. What are some common challenges when solving the 2D heat conductivity problem?

One challenge is accurately determining the boundary conditions and initial conditions, as small errors in these values can significantly affect the results. Another challenge is choosing an appropriate numerical method and grid size to ensure accurate and efficient calculations. Additionally, the 2D heat conductivity problem can become more complex when considering non-uniform materials or varying thermal properties.

5. How can the 2D heat conductivity problem be applied in real-world situations?

The 2D heat conductivity problem has a wide range of applications, including in engineering, physics, and meteorology. It can be used to design and optimize heating and cooling systems, study heat transfer in engines and electronic devices, and understand weather phenomena such as convection and ocean currents. It is also used in materials science to study the thermal properties of different materials.