Calculating the load rating for a multi-bar hinge?

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for help in calculating the load rating for a multi-bar hinge that is used for windows in high-rise buildings. The hinges come in various sizes and calculations need to be done for shear stress in pins, bending loads in beams, and collapse stress. The possibility of fatigue or corrosion was also mentioned, but it was suggested to ask the supplier for assistance.
Groovio
I need some help in calculating the load rating for a multi-bar hinge. This hinge is different from a door hinge. It is fitted beneath the windows and can be used for either side-opening of the windows or for top-hung windows (windows for high-rise glazed glass buildings). The hinges are available in sizes from 8 inches to 30 inches. I need help in calculating the load rating of these hinges. I am attaching the photo of a sample hinge.

Attachments

• Multibar hinges.JPG
    Multibar hinges.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 476
Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculate the shear stress in the pins and compare to allowables.
Calculate bending loads in the beams and compare to allowables.
Calculate collapse stress in beams under pure compression and compare to allowables.
If fatigue or corrosion is a consideration, there's a whole lot more work to do.

Or just ask your supplier.

1. How do I calculate the load rating for a multi-bar hinge?

The load rating for a multi-bar hinge can be calculated by determining the weight of the door or object that will be attached to the hinge, and then multiplying it by a safety factor, typically 3 or 4. This will give you the maximum load capacity that the hinge can withstand.

2. What is a safety factor and why is it important in calculating load rating?

A safety factor is a multiplier used to account for unforeseen factors or variables that may affect the load on the hinge, such as wind or sudden movements. It is important to include a safety factor in the calculation to ensure that the hinge can support the weight without failure or damage.

3. How do I determine the weight of the door or object for the calculation?

To determine the weight, you can use a scale or consult the manufacturer's specifications. If the weight is not readily available, you can also estimate it by measuring the dimensions and density of the object and using a weight calculator.

4. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating the load rating for a multi-bar hinge?

In addition to the weight and safety factor, it is important to consider the material and construction of the hinge, as well as the mounting and installation method. These factors can also affect the load capacity of the hinge and should be taken into account during the calculation.

5. Can I use the same calculation for any type of multi-bar hinge?

No, the calculation for load rating may vary depending on the type and design of the hinge. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines or specifications for the specific hinge model you are using to ensure an accurate calculation.