Average wavelength for blackbody radiation

In summary, the maximum wavelength for blackbody radiation is .29/Temperature. The average wavelength can be calculated using Planck's Law and is given by λavg = ∫λ u(T,λ) dλ / ∫ u(T,λ) dλ. The maximum wavelength is not a fixed value and varies with temperature. The function peaks at a wavelength that is 1.76 times shorter than the frequency peak.
jimjohnson
The maximum wavelength for blackboby radiation is .29/Temperature. Is the average wavelenght 1.84 times the maximum for all temperatures?

Science news on Phys.org
As shown in both ref., the wavelength where the emission intensity is maximum is .29/T. But I want to know the avg wavelenght at that temperatue. So I think the wavelenght where the area under the intensity ghaph is equal on both sides would be the average, but I do not know how to calculate it from gragh equation. My estimate working back from other calculations was 1.84 times the max wavelenght.

You can calculate the following:

Use Planck's Law for the blackbody radiation power as a function of T and λ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law

u(T,λ) = [2hc25]/[e(hc/λkT) - 1]

The average wavelength is then given by:

λavg = ∫λ u(T,λ) dλ / ∫ u(T,λ) dλ

where both integrals are from 0 to ∞. The appendix of the above wiki solves the important integrals.

Bob S

Do you know if the average is 1.84 the maximum for all temperatures? I can not do the math. The following quote from the source may relate: This function peaks for hc = 4.97λkT, a factor of 1.76 shorter in wavelength (higher in frequency) than the frequency peak. Thanks jimj

What is blackbody radiation?

Blackbody radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by an object that absorbs all radiation incident upon it. The radiation emitted follows a unique spectrum that depends on the temperature of the object.

What is the average wavelength for blackbody radiation?

The average wavelength for blackbody radiation is known as the Wien displacement law. It states that the wavelength of maximum emission is inversely proportional to the temperature of the object. This means that as the temperature increases, the average wavelength decreases.

How is the average wavelength calculated?

The average wavelength for blackbody radiation can be calculated using the Wien displacement law or by using the formula λavg = 2.89777 x 10^-3 / T, where λavg is the average wavelength in meters and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What is the significance of the average wavelength for blackbody radiation?

The average wavelength for blackbody radiation is important because it can give us information about the temperature of an object. It can also help us understand the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and its interaction with matter.

How does the average wavelength for blackbody radiation relate to the color of an object?

The average wavelength for blackbody radiation is directly related to the color of an object. As the temperature of an object increases, the average wavelength decreases, resulting in a shift towards shorter wavelengths. This shift towards shorter wavelengths is what gives objects their characteristic colors, with hotter objects appearing bluer and cooler objects appearing redder.