Aerospace engineering: strong colleges? is it a good major for me?

In summary, the speaker is a senior at an international school considering pursuing an Aerospace engineering major. They are looking for colleges that offer financial aid to international students and have considered Florida Institute of Technology, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Texas A&M University, McGill University, University of Maryland, and University of Southern California. They have a GPA of 3.61, are taking the full International Baccalaureate diploma, and have a SAT score of 1830. The speaker is interested in knowing if the listed colleges have strong aerospace engineering programs and if there are any others they should consider. They also have questions about financial aid and scholarships for international students and if it is possible to minor in astrophysics while majoring in aerospace engineering
A2Airwaves
Hi, I'm a senior attending an international school and am thinking of pursuing an Aerospace engineering major. I think I am passionate enough for the major, but my problem is that I cannot find a great college that also will hopefully offer financial aid to me as an international applicant.
So far I've considered:
- Florida Institute of Technology
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Texas A&M University
- McGill Univeristy
- University of Maryland, College Park
- University of Southern California

but I lack the resources to actually see if they offer good aid for internationals.
Colleges offering scholarships are fine too, I am just not sure if I am applicable for them.
My current GPA is 3.61 out of 4, am taking the full International Baccalaureate diploma with Standard Level Physics (Average grade=B+), Math (average grade=A), and AP Calculus. My SAT score is 1830, with reading 550, Math 660, writing 620.

I'd like to know:
1)Do the colleges I listed have a strong aerospace engineering program? Are there any others that you would recommend I look at?

2) Do any colleges give need-based aid to international students? scholarships? Am I applicable at my current state or do I need to improve?

3) Is aerospace engineering a good major if I am interested in flight and space (would love to be part of NASA or companies really into outer space development)? Does it give good chances for high salary jobs? Is it possible for me to learn about nuclear engineering while doing this major?

I would appreciate any and all help for any of these questions. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
1)Do the colleges I listed have a strong aerospace engineering program? Are there any others that you would recommend I look at?

Texas A&M definitely does. It's consistently ranked in the top fifteen in the country.

3) Is aerospace engineering a good major if I am interested in flight and space (would love to be part of NASA or companies really into outer space development)? Does it give good chances for high salary jobs? Is it possible for me to learn about nuclear engineering while doing this major?

It's absolutely a great major, and aerospace jobs are among the highest paying jobs out there for entry level positions (and the salary essentially doubles after ten years). You can go to NASA if you'd like. A&M offers a lot of space-focused courses in its aerospace track.

If I were you, though, I wouldn't touch a second engineering discipline. You need to pick between nuclear and aerospace. If you're interested in working on nuclear power generation for space flight, I suspect just nuclear engineering would be able to land a job in the field.

Sorry I can't give any more help. Good luck!

Thank you Angry Citizen :)

Texas A&M is absolutely in my list.
Although money isn't my first priority, it is one of the reasons why I looked at aerospace engineering (or engineering itself).

The thing is, now I am interested in astrophysics too.. actually it may be what I would like to do more than aerospace engineering. Is it possible I could major and minor in either of them? Is there a difference in terms of competition, jobs etc?

Minors traditionally are not very marketable, unless you take a foreign language minor or something. Astrophysics and aerospace engineering are very different fields. Aerospace is much more focused on design. Astrophysics, I presume, is centered more on orbital mechanics and other things involving the motions and behaviors of celestial objects. You could probably land a job in NASA or the commercial space industry, but don't quote me -- I'm not that familiar with the career.

1) Yes, all of the colleges you listed have strong aerospace engineering programs. In addition to those, some other highly ranked schools for aerospace engineering include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Georgia Institute of Technology, Purdue University, and California Institute of Technology (Caltech). It's always a good idea to research the specific program and faculty at each school to see which one aligns best with your interests and goals.

2) Some colleges do offer need-based aid to international students, but it is often limited. It would be best to reach out to the financial aid offices at each of the schools you are interested in to inquire about their policies for international students. Scholarships are also available for international students, but competition can be high and it is important to research and apply early. Your current GPA and test scores are strong, so you may be eligible for some scholarships, but it's always a good idea to strive for higher grades and scores to increase your chances.

3) Aerospace engineering is a great major for those interested in flight and space. It covers a wide range of topics including aerodynamics, propulsion, and space systems. Many aerospace engineering graduates go on to work for NASA or other companies in the aerospace industry. The salary for aerospace engineers can vary, but it is generally a well-paying field. It is possible to learn about nuclear engineering while pursuing a major in aerospace engineering, but it may require taking additional courses or pursuing a minor in nuclear engineering. It's important to research the specific curriculum at each school to see if this is a possibility.

1. What are some of the top colleges for studying Aerospace Engineering?

Some of the top colleges for studying Aerospace Engineering include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Michigan, and Purdue University.

2. How does Aerospace Engineering differ from other engineering majors?

Aerospace Engineering focuses specifically on the design, development, testing, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. It combines principles of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering, with a focus on aerodynamics, propulsion systems, and structures specific to aerospace vehicles.

3. Is Aerospace Engineering a good major for me?

If you have a strong interest in aerodynamics, aviation, space exploration, and mechanics, Aerospace Engineering may be a good major for you. It requires strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a solid foundation in math and science.

4. What career opportunities are available to those with a degree in Aerospace Engineering?

Graduates with a degree in Aerospace Engineering can pursue careers in various industries, including aerospace and defense, aviation, government agencies, and research and development. Some common job titles include aerospace engineer, aircraft designer, flight test engineer, and spacecraft systems engineer.

5. What are some important skills to have for success in Aerospace Engineering?

Some important skills for success in Aerospace Engineering include strong analytical and mathematical skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to work in a team. Good communication skills and creativity are also valuable in this field.