General Solution to Linear, Homogenius, Second-Order Differential Equation

In summary, the student is trying to solve for u+x*u' in terms of e^(x^2)*u and e^(x^2)*u' but is having trouble getting a solution. They suggest looking at a text book on second-order differential equations or using a software program like Mathematica.
nivekious
I need to solve d/dx(e^(-(x^2))*(du/dx))=u+x*(du/dx)
I get e^(-(x^2))*u''-2xe^(-(x^2))*u'=u+x*u'
u''-2x*u'=e^(x^2)*u+xe^(x^2)*u'
u''+(2x-xe^(x^2))*u'-e^(x^2)*u=0
but I have no idea how to approach the problem from here. Can somebody please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
nivekious said:
I need to solve d/dx(e^(-(x^2))*(du/dx))=u+x*(du/dx)
I get e^(-(x^2))*u''-2xe^(-(x^2))*u'=u+x*u'
u''-2x*u'=e^(x^2)*u+xe^(x^2)*u'
but I have no idea how to approach the problem from here. Can somebody please help?

I can suggest a route to study it. First, get a DE text that deals with second-order DEs with variable coefficients. I use "Intermediate Differential Equations" by Rainville. There are some simple substitutions to try with these types of equations, putting it in it's normal form [itex]v''+Iv=0[/itex] and sometimes that results in a constant-coefficient equation. Some other substitution method to get a constant-coefficient equation. I tried those quickly and did not seem to do it. But you may want to try yourself. My next step would be to turn to Mathematica in desperation using the DSolve command. I tried that and Mathematica can't solve it. My next step, even more desperate but not too uncommon is to use power series which of course in this case will involve Cauchy-products but that's ok according to Rainville. If I had to solve it analytically, and I could think of nothing else, I'd do it with power series.

General Solution to Linear, Homogenius, Second-Order Differential Equation
I don't think that the ODE is on the homogenius kind. It doesn't matter since direct integration directly leads to a first order ODE :

Attachments

• EDO.JPG
    EDO.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 516
. . . schooled. Very nice though. :)

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand the characteristics of the given differential equation. It is a linear, homogeneous, and second-order equation. This means that the dependent variable u and its derivatives are only raised to the first power, there are no non-linear terms, and the equation is free of any constants.

To solve this type of equation, we can use the method of variation of parameters. This involves finding a particular solution and then using it to find the general solution.

To find a particular solution, we can assume that u = Ae^(kx) where A is a constant and k is a constant to be determined. Substituting this into the equation, we get:

Ae^(kx)*(-2kx-2x^2) - Ae^(kx)*(2x-xe^(x^2))k - Ae^(kx)*e^(x^2) = 0

Simplifying, we get:

Ae^(kx)*(-2kx-2x^2+2kx-kx*e^(x^2)-e^(x^2)) = 0

Since e^(x^2) cannot equal 0, we can equate the expression inside the parentheses to 0. This gives us the following equation:

-2kx-2x^2+2kx-kx*e^(x^2)-e^(x^2) = 0

We can solve for k and get k = 1. Substituting this back into our assumed solution, we get:

u = Ae^x

Now, we can use this particular solution to find the general solution. The general solution will have two parts - the particular solution and the complementary function. The complementary function is the solution to the homogeneous equation, which in this case is:

This can be solved using the method of undetermined coefficients or by using the characteristic equation. The complementary function is given by:

u = Be^(x^2)

Hence, the general solution is:

u = Ae^x + Be^(x^2)

In conclusion, the method of variation of parameters can be used to solve this type of differential equation. By finding a particular solution and combining it with the complementary function,

1. What is a linear, homogeneous, second-order differential equation?

A linear, homogeneous, second-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable, along with the dependent variable and its first derivative, all of which are linearly related. It is homogeneous because there are no terms that involve only the dependent variable, and second-order because it involves the second derivative.

2. What is the general solution to a linear, homogeneous, second-order differential equation?

The general solution to a linear, homogeneous, second-order differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the variables involved. It is a combination of two linearly independent solutions, which can be determined using the initial conditions of the problem.

3. How do you solve a linear, homogeneous, second-order differential equation?

To solve a linear, homogeneous, second-order differential equation, we first need to find the characteristic equation by replacing the derivatives in the equation with a variable, usually denoted by λ. Then, we solve the characteristic equation to find the roots, which will be used to find the general solution.

4. Why is the general solution to a linear, homogeneous, second-order differential equation useful?

The general solution to a linear, homogeneous, second-order differential equation is useful because it allows us to find a specific solution for any set of initial conditions, making it applicable to a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. It also helps us understand the behavior of the system described by the equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of the general solution to a linear, homogeneous, second-order differential equation?

The general solution to a linear, homogeneous, second-order differential equation has many real-life applications, such as modeling the motion of a simple pendulum, analyzing electrical circuits, and predicting the spread of diseases. It is also used in fields like economics, biology, and chemistry to model various systems and phenomena.