I cannot answer this question for my life

• Thread starter High_Voltage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, to find the distance above the window where the stone was released, use the equation d=vi*t+(1/2)a*t^2 and solve for vi. Then, find the distance a stone would have to fall to reach that speed and that will be the answer.
High_Voltage

Homework Statement

A falling stone takes .28s to travel past a window 2.2m tall. How far above the window was it released

Homework Equations

vf=vi+at
d=vit+(1/2)at^2
vf^2=vi^2+2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

vf^2=(6.5)+2(9.81 x 2.2)

2.2=(x)(.28s)+(1/2)(9.81)(.28^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi High_Voltage and welcome to PF. you have the right relevant equations, but you are not applying them correctly. Start with d=vi*t+(1/2)a*t^2
You know d=2.2 m, t=0.28 s and a = 9.8 m/s2 (assuming that "down" is positive). You don't know what vi is but you can find it from this equation. It represents the speed of the stone when it first appears at the top of the window. Once you have a number for vi you need to ask and answer another question: How far must a stone (that is released from rest) have to drop so that is reaches this speed vi? That's the answer you are looking for.

1. What does it mean when someone says "I cannot answer this question for my life"?

When someone says "I cannot answer this question for my life," it means that they are unable to provide an answer to a particular question, even if their life depended on it. This phrase is often used to express frustration or a lack of knowledge on a specific topic.

2. Why would someone say "I cannot answer this question for my life"?

There are many reasons why someone would say "I cannot answer this question for my life." It could be because they do not have enough information, they do not understand the question, or they simply do not know the answer. It could also be a way of saying that the question is too difficult or complex for them to answer.

3. Is "I cannot answer this question for my life" a common phrase?

Yes, "I cannot answer this question for my life" is a common phrase that is often used in everyday conversations. It is a colloquial expression that is used to convey a sense of frustration or inability to answer a question.

4. How can I respond if someone says "I cannot answer this question for my life"?

If someone says "I cannot answer this question for my life," you could respond by asking if there is another question they would be able to answer or if they would like more information to help them answer the question. Alternatively, you could acknowledge their statement and move on to a different topic.

5. Can "I cannot answer this question for my life" be used in a professional setting?

While "I cannot answer this question for my life" is a common phrase, it may not be appropriate to use in a professional setting. It could come across as unprofessional or demonstrate a lack of knowledge or preparedness. In a professional setting, it is best to acknowledge if you do not know the answer and suggest finding the answer together or asking for more information.