Pump Selection/Head Calculations

In summary, the individual is seeking help in selecting the correct pump for their water feature project, specifically one that can pump water to a vertical distance of 7.4 meters with a maximum head of 35.4 feet. They also have a side question about the effect of using a pipe reducer on the flow rate, pressure, and maximum head achievable by the pump.
GishEng
Hi everyone, I am in the process of putting together a water feature and am having trouble selecting the correct pump for the job. The pump will be required to pump water to a vertical distance of approx 7.4 meters. A submersible pump would be best. The pipe coming up from the pump is 12mm in diameter and has four 90 elbows and one globe valve. From my calculations based on the head loss due to the elbows, friction and the valve I require a pump with a maximum head of around 35.4 feet. A side question, if the output on my pump is 1 inch let's say and I put in a pipe reducer directly after the pump which reduces the diameter of the pipe from 1 inch to ½ inch how will that effect the flow rate/pressure and the max head achievable by the pump?
Any help would be great!
Best Regards,
Josh

Engineering news on Phys.org
GishEng said:
A side question, if the output on my pump is 1 inch let's say and I put in a pipe reducer directly after the pump which reduces the diameter of the pipe from 1 inch to ½ inch how will that effect the flow rate/pressure and the max head achievable by the pump?
The reducer will decrease the flow rate. It will increase the pressure upstream of the reducer and decrease the pressure downstream. (If the reducer feeds a 1/2 inch pipe, then the same thing applies, lower flow, lower discharge pressure at pipe end.

1. How do I calculate the head of a pump?

The head of a pump is typically calculated by measuring the vertical distance between the pump and the discharge point, and then adding the friction loss from the piping system. The formula for head calculation is: head = vertical distance + friction loss.

2. What is the best method for selecting a pump?

The best method for selecting a pump depends on the specific requirements of the application. Factors such as flow rate, head, type of fluid being pumped, and system pressure must be considered. It is recommended to consult with a pump expert or refer to pump selection guides to determine the most suitable pump for your needs.

3. How do I determine the flow rate needed for my pump?

The flow rate needed for a pump is influenced by several factors, including the size of the piping system, the type of fluid being pumped, and the distance and elevation between the pump and discharge point. The flow rate can be calculated using the formula: flow rate = head/pressure x pump efficiency.

4. What is NPSH and why is it important in pump selection?

NPSH (Net Positive Suction Head) is the amount of pressure available at the suction side of a pump. It is important to consider NPSH in pump selection as it affects the pump's ability to maintain a steady flow and prevent cavitation, which can damage the pump and decrease its efficiency. It is recommended to choose a pump with a required NPSH lower than the available NPSH in the system.

5. How do I know if I need a centrifugal or positive displacement pump?

The choice between a centrifugal or positive displacement pump depends on the specific application. Centrifugal pumps are generally more suitable for higher flow rates and lower pressures, while positive displacement pumps are better for lower flow rates and higher pressures. It is important to consider the fluid properties and system requirements when selecting between the two types of pumps.