Creating a Bit Detector with Mealy Machine: State Diagrams & Tables

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a scheme for a bit detector using a Mealy Machine. The individual has already created a state diagram and table, but is unsure about how to create k-maps from the table and make a circuit scheme. They request help, but later state that they have solved the problem.
vermicelli

Homework Statement

I have to make a scheme of a bit detector that detects the bit "1101" with a Mealy Machine.
So I have made the following state diagram and state table(picture 1 and picture 2)
http://img215.imageshack.us/g/picture1jf.png/"
Now I don't know what happens in picture 3. How do they become on a table for D1, D2 and output?

Homework Equations

Now I don't know what happens in picture 3. How do they become on a table for D1, D2 and output? So I don't know how to make k-maps from the state table. And how must I make a circuit scheme?(the last picture)

I will be very happy if someone could help me with this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have solved the problem. This topic can be locked!

1. What is a Mealy Machine?

A Mealy Machine is a finite state machine that takes inputs and produces outputs based on its current state. It is named after George H. Mealy, who first described this type of machine in 1955.

2. How do you create a Bit Detector with a Mealy Machine?

To create a Bit Detector with a Mealy Machine, you will need to design a state diagram that outlines all possible states and transitions for the machine. Then, you will need to create a state table that maps the inputs, current state, and outputs. Finally, you can implement the machine using programming languages like Verilog or VHDL.

3. What is the purpose of a state diagram in a Mealy Machine?

A state diagram in a Mealy Machine visually represents all possible states and transitions of the machine. It helps in the design process and ensures that all possible inputs and outputs are considered. It also makes it easier to implement the machine using programming languages.

4. Can a Mealy Machine be used for other purposes besides a Bit Detector?

Yes, a Mealy Machine can be used for various purposes besides a Bit Detector. It can be used for pattern recognition, sequence detection, data encoding, and more. It is a versatile machine that can be adapted for different applications.

5. What is the difference between a Mealy Machine and a Moore Machine?

The main difference between a Mealy Machine and a Moore Machine is that a Mealy Machine produces outputs based on the current state and inputs, while a Moore Machine produces outputs based on the current state only. This means that a Mealy Machine has more flexibility in its output, while a Moore Machine has a more structured output based on the state.