Dirac Spinor Algebra: Simplifying Expressions

In summary, the speaker is seeking a way to simplify an expression involving spinors and gamma matrices, but is unsure of any specific identities that may help. Suggestions have been given, such as using spin sums and Fierz identities, but the speaker realizes that there may not be a simple solution for their specific problem.
maverick280857
Hi,

In a calculation I am doing, I encounter terms of the form

[tex]\bar{u}^{s_1}(\boldsymbol{\vec{p}})\gamma^{\mu}{v}^{s_2}(\boldsymbol{\vec{q}})[/tex]

where [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] are the electron and positron spinors. Is there any recipe for simplifying this expression, using the spin sums or other identities? I am unable to figure anything out except if I break u and v into components and consider various cases depending on what [itex]s_1[/itex], [itex]s_2[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex] are...which is too tedious.

(I have to compute the product of this with [itex]A_{\mu}(x)[/itex])

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS -- I am not looking at the amplitude squared, so I probably cannot use the trace methods directly..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so to be more specific, I am interested in simplifying the quantity

[tex]G^{\mu\nu} = Tr\left[u^{s_1}(\boldsymbol{p}_1)\bar{u}^{s_1}(\boldsymbol{p}_1)\gamma^{\mu}v^{s_2}(\boldsymbol{p}_2)\bar{v}^{s_2}(\boldsymbol{p}_2)\gamma^{\nu}\right][/tex]

There is no sum over the spins (so the spin sum identities won't help). Basically I am taking the trace of a 4x4 matrix (for given [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\nu[/itex]).

Any ideas?

An idea (only an idea!) is to use Fierz identities

Expressions such as [itex]u^{s}(\boldsymbol{p})\bar{u}^{s}(\boldsymbol{p})[/itex] can be simplified by first doing the spin sum, then applying a spin projection matrix that removes the spin you don't want. For example, in Srednicki's conventions, the result is

[tex]u^{s}(\boldsymbol{p})\bar{u}^{s}(\boldsymbol{p})={1\over2}(1-s\gamma_5\rlap{z}\slash)(-\rlap{p}\slash+m)[/tex]

where [itex]z^\mu[/itex] is the spin-quantization axis. For v-type spinors, the result is the same, except +m becomes -m.

but doesn't want to sum over the spins ...

This is NOT a sum over spins, this is for a particular value of s (plus or minus one).

Thanks for the replies, Tom and Avodyne. Yes, it's not a spin sum..I think I have to leave it as it is (and wait till some part of the calculations actually requires me to sum over all spins :-p). Or if I want, I can split u and v into their components in some basis, and compute the 4x4 matrix 'by hand'. I don't think there is much point to it, so I'm just leaving it as it is.

Avodyne, your idea assumes that the 3-momenta arguments of both spinors are identical, which is not the case in my problem. In fact, an overall delta function ensures that [itex]\boldsymbol{p}_1 = -\boldsymbol{p}_2[/itex] under a very special case. Otherwise, the 3 momenta could be quite unrelated...which is why I'm thinking now that there may probably be no "identity" that I'm seeking. (It's a bit tempting to assume that there's something to simplify just about everything a novice can possibly encounter in QFT ;-)).

Tom, I'll have a look at the Fierz identity too.

maverick280857 said:
Avodyne, your idea assumes that the 3-momenta arguments of both spinors are identical
No, it doesn't. You take your expression for [itex]G^{\mu\nu}[/itex], and substitute my expression in two places (with different momenta in each place, and with m->-m where you have v's instead of u's).

Avodyne said:
No, it doesn't. You take your expression for [itex]G^{\mu\nu}[/itex], and substitute my expression in two places (with different momenta in each place, and with m->-m where you have v's instead of u's).

Ah, neat. That's because I'm interested in [itex]G^{\mu\nu}[/itex] and not the expression I wrote in my first post. Nice.

1. What is Dirac Spinor Algebra?

Dirac Spinor Algebra is a mathematical framework used to describe the properties and behavior of particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s.

2. How does Dirac Spinor Algebra simplify expressions?

Dirac Spinor Algebra simplifies expressions by using a set of mathematical rules and properties to manipulate and combine spinors (mathematical objects representing particles with spin). This allows for the representation of complex physical phenomena in a more concise and elegant form.

3. What are the basic elements of Dirac Spinor Algebra?

The basic elements of Dirac Spinor Algebra are the Dirac matrices, which are 4x4 matrices representing the spin operators, and the spinors, which are 4-component mathematical objects representing the wave function of a particle.

4. How is Dirac Spinor Algebra used in physics?

Dirac Spinor Algebra is used in various areas of physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and particle physics. It allows for the description of spin and other quantum mechanical properties of particles, and has been instrumental in predicting and understanding various physical phenomena, such as the magnetic moment of particles and the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields.

5. What are the benefits of using Dirac Spinor Algebra?

One of the main benefits of using Dirac Spinor Algebra is its ability to simplify and unify the mathematical representation of physical phenomena, making it easier to understand and work with complex systems. It also allows for the prediction and explanation of various physical properties and behaviors of particles, leading to advancements in our understanding of the universe.