Baked Beans and Me: A Love-Hate Relationship

In summary, Beans are good for your heart, but they can be bad if you eat them with tomato sauce. You can make your own beans, or buy them in a tin with tomato sauce.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
There is nothing more that i like than a plate of baked beans with some bread and butter,
but baked beans hate me, within an hour it is a parp parp hear a parp parp there a parp parp every where., why do baked beans hate me?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
There is nothing more that i like than a plate of baked beans with some bread and butter,
but baked beans hate me, within an hour it is a parp parp hear a parp parp there a parp parp every where., why do baked beans hate me?
Do you have stuff like beano there? You sprinkle a few drops on the food before you eat and it's supposed to get rid of the gas.

Just enjoy it Woolie.

Beano is an enzyme that breaks down the olgiosaccharides that the body can't digest (this is what causes the gas). My biology teacher says that soaking the beans in water for a few hours will also do the trick, but YMMV.

Give this a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnH2pgtt7_I

Pianoman14 said:
Beano is an enzyme that breaks down the olgiosaccharides that the body can't digest (this is what causes the gas). My biology teacher says that soaking the beans in water for a few hours will also do the trick, but YMMV.
We soak them overnight, drain, rinse, and drain again before putting the beans in the pot and adding the other ingredients. It's easy to make your own baked beans, Woolie. You should give it a whirl if you haven't already. When I was in college, I had a tiny bean-pot that I got from a family member. It was just big enough to bake enough beans for a couple of meals and maybe a bean sandwich. Lost it in a move, sometime after I got married. We moved a LOT, chasing jobs in a really bad economy.

turbo-1 said:
We soak them overnight, drain, rinse, and drain again before putting the beans in the pot and adding the other ingredients. It's easy to make your own baked beans, Woolie. You should give it a whirl if you haven't already. When I was in college, I had a tiny bean-pot that I got from a family member. It was just big enough to bake enough beans for a couple of meals and maybe a bean sandwich. Lost it in a move, sometime after I got married. We moved a LOT, chasing jobs in a really bad economy.

Where i live beans come in tins with tomato sauce.

wolram said:
Ack! Bad, bad, bad!

wolram said:

they don't sell dried beans where you live?

brewnog said:
Just enjoy it Woolie.

Exactly my approach. I always thought about it as about one of those small, lovely pleasures of live.

Beans, beans they're good for your heart.

turbo-1 said:
Ack! Bad, bad, bad!

No way; they're delicious!

Atombomb said:
mmm baked beans - so yummy! Am living in Germany at the mo and, aside from tea, baked beans are probably what I miss the most about home...

Whaaaa? There's no tea in Germany?

xxChrisxx said:
Beans, beans they're good for your heart.

the more you eat, the more you...

tracydimarco said:
the more you eat, the more you...

have to put in your shopping cart.

1. What inspired you to study the relationship between baked beans and yourself?

As a scientist, I am always curious about the relationships between different objects and concepts. Baked beans have always been a staple in my diet, but I noticed that my feelings towards them were constantly changing. This sparked my interest in exploring the love-hate relationship between myself and baked beans.

2. Are there any health benefits to consuming baked beans?

Yes, there are several health benefits associated with consuming baked beans. They are high in fiber, protein, and essential minerals such as iron, potassium, and magnesium. They also have a low glycemic index, making them a good option for managing blood sugar levels.

3. What factors contribute to the love-hate relationship with baked beans?

There are several factors that can contribute to a love-hate relationship with baked beans. These include personal taste preferences, the way they are prepared, and the frequency of consumption. Factors such as childhood memories and cultural influences can also play a role in one's feelings towards baked beans.

4. Can the relationship with baked beans change over time?

Absolutely. As with any relationship, our feelings towards baked beans can change over time. This can be influenced by factors such as taste preferences, health concerns, and lifestyle changes. It is not uncommon for someone to go from loving baked beans to hating them, or vice versa.

5. Is there a scientific explanation for the love-hate relationship with baked beans?

While there is no definitive scientific explanation, there are several theories as to why people may have a love-hate relationship with baked beans. One theory suggests that it may be due to the high sulfur content in beans, which can cause digestive discomfort in some individuals. Another theory proposes that it may be a result of our brain's reward system and how it responds to certain tastes and textures.