Design a flywheel for my final year project

In summary: The co-efficient of variation, or CV, is a measure of how much a system's output varies over time. The CV of a system is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between the system's output and input over a given time interval. The minimum and maximum CV values are 0.05 and 5, respectively. For your project, you will need to calculate the co-efficient of variation for your flywheel. The minimum CV value is 0.05, and the maximum value is 5.
dinesh sivam
hi friends,i am going to design a flywheel for my final year project.how to design it? actually my project is electric bicycle.i am going to connect fly wheel with gears.my cycle will power by both manually & electrically.

Engineering news on Phys.org

First determine the power requirement of the flywheel (maybe 1/2 hp or so). Then determine the time the flywheel must deliver power. After this, determine the stored energy in the flywheel: Energy = Power X Time.

With the energy requirement, find a formula for energy stored in a flywheel. Then you can optimize dimensions, materials, angular velocity, and so on.

thank you.power requirement is 0.5 hp and time maximum 1 hr.i can find energy stored and how to calculate mass and dimension of fly wheel? help me pls..and how select material also...

This link gives some basic formulas for flywheel stored energy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel

To simplify the calculations, start with a solid cylinder made of steel.

You will find it will need to initially be spining very fast to make 1/2 hp for 1 min. You may need to reduce the power and time.

I would set up the equations in MathCAD or Excel.

k thanks

hi, i tell all about it. i ll attach gear setup in rear sprocket.and fly wheel connected to gear arrangement. we attach generator to charge batteries.our gear setup give as 3500 rpm and that shaft connected to flywheel k.max speed 3500 and min 1000.we use hub motor for front wheel and we use both manual and electric .we charge batteries for hub motor.give me detailed design for flywheel. please!

This is your project! We most certainly will not give you a detailed design!

k.i ll try

Do you think your flywheel might cause problems with steering and control?

no sir

sir wat ll be the co-eff of fluctuation value sir??for co-eff of fluct calculation wat is min and max value?is it fly wheel shaft speed or gear speed?

Last edited:

Phrak said:
Do you think your flywheel might cause problems with steering and control?

no sir.but i have problem in design itself .how to calculate cs value?

1. What is the purpose of a flywheel in a final year project?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy and helps to maintain a constant speed or torque in a system. In a final year project, a flywheel can be used as a demonstration of practical engineering principles and can also serve as a component in a larger system such as a motor or generator.

2. How do you determine the appropriate size and weight for a flywheel in a project?

The size and weight of a flywheel can be determined by considering the desired speed and torque of the system it will be a part of. The flywheel should be large enough to store sufficient energy to maintain the desired speed and small enough to not add unnecessary weight or bulk to the system.

3. What materials are commonly used to make a flywheel in a project?

The most commonly used materials for flywheels are steel, aluminum, and composite materials. These materials have high strength and are able to withstand the high rotational speeds and forces that a flywheel experiences.

4. Can a flywheel be used in different types of projects?

Yes, a flywheel can be used in a variety of projects such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and even renewable energy systems. Its ability to store and release energy makes it a versatile component in many different systems.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when designing and working with a flywheel in a project?

When working with a flywheel, it is important to take proper safety precautions to prevent any accidents. This includes wearing protective gear, ensuring the flywheel is properly balanced and secured, and following all safety guidelines and protocols. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the flywheel to ensure it is functioning properly and does not pose any safety risks.