Expectation Values/Bra-ket Problem

• Thread starter The Eggman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expectation
Hope that clarifies everything! In summary, the expectation value of a system state \psi with respect to an observable A, with a complete set of eigenvectors \phi_j and corresponding eigenvalues a_j, is given by <A>\psi=\sum_j a_j|<\psi|\phi_j>|^2. This can be derived using the completeness of the set of eigenvectors and the identity operator. The complex conjugate of the expansion coefficient <\phi|\psi> is not the same as <\psi|\phi>, and the bra and ket cannot be commuted in this case.
The Eggman
Concerning expectation values...

Also, the derivation in terms of bra-ket rather than wage function would be appreciated.

Where [tex]\psi[/tex] is the system state

Knowing that <A>[tex]\psi[/tex]=<[tex]\psi[/tex]|A|[tex]\psi[/tex]>

And A is comprised of a complete eigenvector set [tex]\phi[/tex]j w/ corresponding eigenvalues aj

How do you derive <A>[tex]\psi[/tex]=[tex]\sum[/tex]aj|<[tex]\psi[/tex]|[tex]\phi[/tex]j>|^2 ?

Additionally, (unrelated to above)

if |[tex]\psi[/tex]> is comprised of component states |[tex]\phi[/tex]>,

And <[tex]\phi[/tex]|[tex]\psi[/tex]>=the relevant expansion coefficient (probability)

What is the value of <[tex]\psi[/tex]|[tex]\phi[/tex]>? The complex conjugate of the expansion coefficient?

Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expectation_value_(quantum_mechanics )

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If A has a complete set of eigenvectors [tex]\phi_j[/tex] with eigenvalues [tex]a_j[/tex] then we can write:

[tex]A=\sum_j a_j|\phi_j><\phi_j|[/tex]

So thus <[tex]\psi[/tex]|A|[tex]\psi[/tex]>=[tex]\sum_j a_j<\psi|\phi_j><\phi_j|\psi>=\sum_j a_j<\psi|\phi_j>(<\psi|\phi_j>)^*=\sum_j a_j|<\psi|\phi_j>|^2[/tex]

If you're wondering where the first identity comes from then I'll give you a hint:

By completeness: [tex]
1=\sum_j |\phi_j><\phi_j|
[/tex]

Sorry, I still don't totally understand the first identity. How do you derive that? There isn't a scalar product, so is some other operation implicit?

Also, (this is going to be a stupid question) but |[tex]\phi[/tex]j><[tex]\phi[/tex]j| cannot be simplified, right?Lastly, can you commute the bra and the ket to form a scalar product by taking it's complex conjugate? ( <[tex]\phi[/tex]j|[tex]\phi[/tex]j>*)?

Thanks in advance!

Oh wait, did you just use the Identity operator? I think I get it now...

The Eggman said:
Oh wait, did you just use the Identity operator? I think I get it now...

Yes exactly, it's just the identity operator. And no you can't commute the bra and the ket because <[tex]\phi[/tex]|[tex]\phi[/tex]>*=<[tex]\phi[/tex]|[tex]\phi[/tex]>

1. What is an expectation value?

An expectation value is the average value that a physical quantity will take on if the same measurement is repeated many times on a quantum system in the same state.

2. How is an expectation value calculated?

The expectation value of a physical quantity is calculated by taking the inner product of the quantum state with the operator corresponding to the physical quantity. This is also known as the "bra-ket" notation.

3. What is the significance of expectation values in quantum mechanics?

Expectation values are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to make predictions about the results of measurements on quantum systems. They also play a crucial role in the calculation of probabilities and in determining the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can expectation values be negative?

Yes, expectation values can be negative. The expectation value is a mathematical concept and does not necessarily have a physical meaning. It is possible for the result of a measurement to be negative, which would result in a negative expectation value.

5. How can we use expectation values to compare different quantum states?

Expectation values can be used to compare different quantum states by calculating the expectation values for the same physical quantity on each state. The state with the higher expectation value for that physical quantity will be more likely to yield that value in a measurement.