Strong interaction and isospin

In summary, the speaker is having trouble understanding the dependence of strong interaction on isospin. They mention that in the potential, there are operatorial terms that include central, spin-spin, tensor force, and spin-orbit terms, all multiplied by a factor that is isospin-dependent (represented by tau_i dot tau_j). They are confused about the last term and what it means. They also ask about the dependence on other coordinates and mention that strong interaction should be invariant for a system composed of neutron-neutron or proton-proton. Finally, they mention that isospin is the quantum number that distinguishes between a proton and a neutron and that it is invariant under the strong interaction.
stefano
I have a problem in understanding the dependence by isospin of strong interaction.
In this potential one have a lot of operatorial terms which include central, spin-spin, tensor force, spin-orbit terms, and all this four terms multiply by a factor isospin-dependent (tau_i dot tau_j).
I don't understand the last term.
What does it mean (tau_i dot tau_j)? If I have two nucleon, they can have tau_z=1/2 or -1/2. Dot product involves tau_x, tau_y and tau_z and why there are a dependence of other coordinates?
Because strong interaction is invariant for a system composed by neutron-neutron or proton-proton, one would have the same interaction if tau_iz=tau_jz=1/2 (proton-proton) or tau_iz=tau_jz=-1/2 (neutron-neutron). So I don't understand why strong interaction contains (tau_i dot tau_j) terms, instead (tau_zi tau_zj).

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello !

I will try to help you a bit, but i am not really sure of that.

The [tex]\tau_{i} \cdot \tau_{j}[/tex] is the product of two operators, and it's equal to :

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \left((\tau_{i} +\tau_{j})^{2} - (\tau_{i})^{2} - (\tau_{j})^{2}\right)[/tex]

Each term of your potential appears once multiplied by 1, et once multiplied by [tex]\tau_{i} \cdot \tau_{j}[/tex]. It permits to satisify the "charge independance". Under this form, you don't care about the isospin projections, but only of the quantum number of isospin (which is 1/2 for a nucleon).

Another thing, the nuclear potential should be +/- the same for p-p, n-n and n-p. In fact, n-p is a bit different from p-p or n-n, but not much (see experimental datas for "miror" or "isobare" nuclei for example)

Remark : you may sometimes have a [tex]Q_{12}[/tex] term in your nuclear potential (quadratic correction), with [tex]Q_{12} = 2 \left[(s_{1} \cdot L) (s_{2} \cdot L) + (s_{2} \cdot L) (s_{1} \cdot L)\right][/tex]

Cya :)

Last edited:
Ok, but in this case is tau=1/2 for protons and tau=-1/2 for neutrons?

the quantum number associated to the projection on the 3rd axis in fact ...

Stefano...

isospin is the quantumnumber that distinguishes between a proton and a neutron...basically it works just like the electronspin : up and down...isospin up corresponds to a proton and isospin down corresponds to a neutron...

The strong force is characterized by the fact that isospin is invariant under this interaction. This means that the interaction does not change when isospin is changed from up to down...

This is the most simple picture...

regards
marlon

1. What is the strong interaction?

The strong interaction is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and weak interaction. It is responsible for holding together the nuclei of atoms by overcoming the electromagnetic repulsion between positively charged protons.

2. What is isospin in relation to the strong interaction?

Isospin is a quantum number that describes the symmetry between particles that experience the strong interaction, such as protons and neutrons. It is analogous to the concept of electric charge in electromagnetism.

3. How does isospin affect nuclear reactions?

In reactions involving particles that experience the strong interaction, such as nucleons, isospin must be conserved. This means that the total isospin of the particles before and after the reaction must be the same.

4. What is the role of the strong interaction in nuclear binding energy?

The strong interaction is responsible for the majority of the binding energy in atomic nuclei. It is the force that holds together the protons and neutrons in the nucleus, and the release of this energy is what powers nuclear reactions.

5. Can the strong interaction be described by a mathematical model?

Yes, the strong interaction is described by the mathematical theory of quantum chromodynamics (QCD). This theory explains how quarks, the fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, interact through the exchange of particles called gluons.