Calculating Solar Panel Power Output: Chain Rule & Arcsin Function

• Thread starter IntegrateMe
  • Start date
This represents the change in power output with respect to time. In summary, the power output of a solar panel varies with the angle of the sun and can be calculated using the chain rule. The function θ(t) can be used to calculate θ'(t) and find the change in power output between 4:30PM and 5:30PM. The change in power output is represented by dP/dt.
IntegrateMe
The power output of a particular type of solar panel varies with the angle of the sun shining on the panel. The panel outputs P (θ) watts when the angle between the sun and the panel is θ for 0 ≤ θ ≤ π. On a typical summer day in Ann Arbor, the angle between a properly mounted panel and the sun t hours after 6 a.m. is θ(t) for 0 ≤ t ≤ 14. Assume that sunrise is at 6 a.m. and sunset is 8 p.m.

(A) Calculate dP/dt using the chain rule, and give interpretations for each part of your calculation.

P(θ(t)). So, dP/dt = P(θ(t))' = P'(θ(t)) * θ'(t)
P'(θ(t)) is the average rate of change of power with respect to θ.
θ'(t) is the average rate of change of θ with respect to t.

(B) Suppose θ(t) = arcsin(t/7 -1) + π/2. Calculate θ'(t) using the equivalent expression: sin(θ(t) - π/2) = t/7 - 1

I just differentiated the equivalent function:

cos(θ(t) - π/2)*θ'(t) = 1/7
θ'(t) = 1/(7*cos(θ(t) - π/2))

(C) Suppose dP/dθ (2π/3) = 12 and θ(t) is the function in part (B). Find the change in power output between 4:30PM and 5:30PM.

This is where I'm having trouble. I would think the "change in power output" would simply be dP/dθ, since this represents the change in power with respect to θ, but I feel as though I'm incorrect here. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Change in power output is dP/dt here.

1. What does "check my solutions" mean?

"Check my solutions" means to review and verify the correctness of the solutions to a problem or question.

2. Why is it important to have someone check my solutions?

Having someone check your solutions can help identify any errors or mistakes that may have been made. It also allows for a second opinion and can provide a better understanding of the problem.

3. How can I ask someone to check my solutions?

You can ask someone to check your solutions by providing them with the problem and your proposed solutions, and politely asking for their review and feedback.

4. Who can I ask to check my solutions?

You can ask anyone you trust, such as a teacher, colleague, or friend who is knowledgeable in the subject matter. You can also seek help from online communities or forums.

5. What should I do if my solutions are incorrect?

If your solutions are incorrect, you can try to identify where you went wrong and make corrections. It can also be helpful to discuss with the person who checked your solutions for guidance and clarification.