Is the assertion true and the reason false?

In summary, catalysts are substances that can speed up or slow down a reaction, depending on its properties. The assertion that decreasing atmospheric pressure on a pot of boiling water causes it to stop boiling is false. The reason provided, which states that changes in pressure are directly related to the boiling point of water, is also false. Additionally, the assertion that catalysts change the temperature of a reaction is false, and the reason provided is also false. Catalysts actually speed up reactions by lowering the activation energy, regardless of temperature changes.
apchemstudent
Catalysts

I have to state if the "assertion" is true or false and as well the "Reason" if it is true or false. However, i also have to note if the reason is the correct explanation of the "assertion"
The "assertion":

#1.
Decreasing the atmospheric pressure on a pot of boiling water causes it to stop boiling.

The "reason":

Because changes in pressure are directly related to the boiling point of water.

Is the reason a correct explanation of the "assertion"?

#2.
The "assertion":

Catalysts speed up or slow down a reaction.

The "reason":

Because they change the temperature of the reaction.

Is the "assertion" true and the "reason" false?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
i would say both are false,
by definition, a Catalysts speeds up a reaction, it doesn't slow it down.
and the way a Catalysts speeds it up isn't by changing the temperature.

If you decrease pressure liquid water turns to vapor. So it will NOT stop boiling, it will increase boiling.

Catalyst speeds up reaction by lowering the activation energy. Has nothing to do with temp.

nautica said:
If you decrease pressure liquid water turns to vapor. So it will NOT stop boiling, it will increase boiling.

Catalyst speeds up reaction by lowering the activation energy. Has nothing to do with temp.

I think i understand the boiling point thing now... thanks!

1. What is the boiling point of water?

The boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level. This is the temperature at which water changes from a liquid to a gas.

2. Does the boiling point of water change at different altitudes?

Yes, the boiling point of water is affected by altitude. As elevation increases, the air pressure decreases, which lowers the boiling point of water. For every 500 feet increase in altitude, the boiling point decreases by about 1 degree Fahrenheit.

3. How does adding salt or sugar affect the boiling point of water?

Adding salt or sugar to water increases its boiling point. This is because these substances disrupt the formation of hydrogen bonds between water molecules, making it more difficult for water to change from a liquid to a gas. Therefore, water needs to reach a higher temperature to boil.

4. Can the boiling point of water be lower than 100 degrees Celsius?

Yes, the boiling point of water can be lower than 100 degrees Celsius if the water is not pure. Impurities in the water, such as minerals or other substances, can raise its boiling point.

5. Is the boiling point of water different for different types of water?

The boiling point of water is generally the same for all types of water, such as tap water, distilled water, or saltwater. However, as mentioned before, impurities in the water can affect the boiling point. Additionally, water with higher concentrations of dissolved gases may have a slightly higher boiling point.