Optimizing Light Pole Height for Maximum Illumination: A Differential Problem

In summary, the intensity of illumination at any point on a busy traffic circle, which has a radius of 40ft, is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle θ and inversely proportional to the square of the distance d from the source. To maximize the intensity, we need to choose a θ where the derivative of the intensity function is zero. The height of the light pole, h, changes with θ. Therefore, we need to find the maximum intensity for all points on the circle to determine the appropriate height.
Bob777

Homework Statement

A light is to be placed atop a pole of height h feet to illuminate a busy traffic circle, which has a radius of 40ft. The intensity of illumination I at any point P on the circle is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle θ (see the figure) and inversely proportional to the square of the distance d from the source.
(a)How tall should the light pole be to maximize I?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

intensity of illumination I=cosθ/d^2
cosθ/d^2*the area=I
but any point P has different intensity of illumination according to the distance form center.
and when h change all the intensity of illumination of any point change.
How can I know the I?

Please help me! thanks

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
write d as a function of θ, which seems straightforward, then I=cosθ/d(θ)^2, now you can take the derivative

sunjin09 said:
write d as a function of θ, which seems straightforward, then I=cosθ/d(θ)^2, now you can take the derivative

not I =cosθ/d(θ)^2.
It's "intensity of I"
"intensity of I"=cosθ/d(θ)^2

points have different θ with different radius.
and when h changes everything changes.

:-(

The intensity you want to maximize is cosθ/d(θ)^2, which is a function of θ, you want to choose a θ, so that this intensity is maximized. How do you choose θ? You realize that when the intensity is maximized, its derivative with respect to θ is zero... now try to work out the rest. Regarding h, think of h changes with θ, not the contrary

sunjin09 said:
The intensity you want to maximize is cosθ/d(θ)^2, which is a function of θ, you want to choose a θ, so that this intensity is maximized. How do you choose θ? You realize that when the intensity is maximized, its derivative with respect to θ is zero... now try to work out the rest. Regarding h, think of h changes with θ, not the contrary

Thank you very much for your reply. :)

My question is that the intensity is different at different points on the circle.
I don't know which point on circle it's intensity I have to find the h to maximize .
Should I find maxim intensity of all points on the circle?

Bob777 said:
Thank you very much for your reply. :)

My question is that the intensity is different at different points on the circle.
The intensity depends only upon the strength of the light itself and the distance to the light. Those are the same for every point on each circle. The intensity is NOT "different at different points on the circle". That's the whole point of using those circles to analyse the problem.

I don't know which point on circle it's intensity I have to find the h to maximize .
Should I find maxim intensity of all points on the circle?

HallsofIvy said:
The intensity depends only upon the strength of the light itself and the distance to the light. Those are the same for every point on each circle. The intensity is NOT "different at different points on the circle". That's the whole point of using those circles to analyse the problem.

Thank you very much!

Now there is no problem.

:-)

What is a differential problem?

A differential problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It often involves solving an equation or system of equations involving derivatives.

What are some examples of differential problems?

Some common examples of differential problems include finding the velocity of a moving object, determining the rate of change of a chemical reaction, and modeling the spread of a disease.

What are the different types of differential problems?

There are several types of differential problems, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). Each type has its own unique properties and methods for solving.

How are differential problems solved?

Differential problems can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or numerical techniques. The specific approach depends on the type and complexity of the problem.

What is the importance of studying differential problems?

Differential problems are essential in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and biology. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and modeling complex systems and phenomena. Additionally, the techniques used to solve differential problems have applications in various areas of research and technology.